BentMikey and a Subaru Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BentMikey said:
Just because you don't want it to be a fact doesn't make it so. There's fairly robust and convincing evidence that mobile phone use is a big impairment, roughly similar to driving drunk.

Apparently there are around 500,000 A&E visits a year due to pedestrians on the phone tripping over street furniture.

Research is showing that the two are equal......

Cell phones as dangerous as drunk driving
by Erica Ogg

Is having a cell phone pressed to your ear while behind the wheel the equivalent of driving while intoxicated? According to a study by University of Utah psychologists, the answer is, unfortunately, yes.

"Just like you put yourself and other people at risk when you drive drunk, you put yourself and others at risk when you use a cell phone and drive," writes David Strayer, a psychology professor and the study's lead author. "The level of impairment is very similar."

The study, published in the June 29 issue of Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, found that drivers talking on cell phones, either handheld or hands-free, are more likely to crash because they are distracted by conversation.

Using a driving simulator under four different conditions: with no distractions, using a handheld cell phone, talking on a hands-free cell phone, and while intoxicated to the 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level, 40 participants followed a simulated pace car that braked intermittently.

Researchers found that the drivers on cell phones drove more slowly, braked more slowly and were more likely to crash. In fact, the three participants who collided into the pace car were chatting away. None of the drunken drivers crashed.

"This study does not mean people should start driving drunk," said co-author Frank Drews. "It means that driving while talking on a cell phone is as bad as or maybe worse than driving drunk, which is completely unacceptable and cannot be tolerated by society."

What we need to start recognising is that many of these drivers hav a total disregard for the law and good driving. The chances are that the driver on the phone and that one tailgating or speeding will be the same one.

There is also evidence that if we assess these drivers we can easily identify the problems and with remedial education improve the attitude and hence the driving standards. Using this process Arriva halved the accidents in their fleet.

Perhaps we need to be less lax and to start recognising that this stupidity can be a signal of more serious issues and start a "zero tolerance" for all the little misdemeanours that contribute to the behaviour of the "DANs" of this world

PBancroft

I agree with Cunobelin, which is why I would like to see the end of the whole points system. It's just bonkers.

Oi! You can't drive, so... um, carry on.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
f1_fan said:
Underestimate you? Never! You just overestimate my cycling ability. Inexpert wouldn't be the half of it!
sounds like a bit of a retreat here..........live a little!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I expect that f1_fan is demotivated by the same fear of cycling that most people have, thinking that it's extremely dangerous. Cycling can sometimes be intimidating, but it's largely as dangerous as walking, in other words not very dangerous at all. What's more, the health and other benefits outweigh the risks 20 to 1, so much so that we can't really afford not to cycle regularly. Cycling is so dangerous that on average a regular cyclist will live 2 years longer than the general UK population.

f1_fan, I think you'd have a very good time with dellzeqq, he's a super chap in person. I'd certainly enjoy coming along and meeting you, you seem like a very decent sort. Video camera off of course...

One problem for me is that the effect of my videos is to make cycling seem more dangerous, and I'm not very happy about that.

BentMikey said:
(Edited)

One problem for me is that the effect of my videos is to make cycling seem more dangerous, and I'm not very happy about that.

I disagree - Forums like this are a "reflective" process (No pun intended) where we share experiences and learn from them. Most of us would recognise that cycling is fun and safe, but discussing the low point is cathartc for the OP and we can all pick up and learn from the experience.

There are a lot of "I had a good ride threads" as well

thomas

the tank engine
okay, having not really noticed Subaru drivers (probably a good thing), I've seen quite a few this week. All of them were driving really smoothly and sensibly. Dan obviously as only upgraded from his boy-racer-mo-bile.

Not seen our friend Dan though :eek:...thought it would be quite funny to bump into him.

Crankarm

Guru
BentMikey said:
I expect that f1_fan is demotivated by the same fear of cycling that most people have, thinking that it's extremely dangerous.

This is because they know that most drivers including themselves drive much of the time like complete idiots and if they were to cycle they would more than likely encounter many of the them risking being knocked off seriously injured or killed. Their fear of cycling is self perpetuating. There are many drivers male or female that are selfish bullying cowards. Simples.

Originally Posted by BentMikey
(Edited)

Why not show the 'warts and all' stuff.Cycling isn't always a honeymoon,we all know that.

GrasB

Veteran
hackbike 666 said:
Originally Posted by BentMikey
(Edited)

Why not show the 'warts and all' stuff.Cycling isn't always a honeymoon,we all know that.
The thing is seasoned cyclists see theses as isolated incidents as part of many road miles a year, when I mention I ride around 6500 miles a year on my bike just going work most non-cyclists look absolutely amazed you can cover that kind of mileage. Seeing these incidents on youtube, etc. then makes people this is very common & so get scared & don't feel confident enough cycling.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, I'm doing about the same sort mileage myself. I laughed when I saw the subaru forum comments of horror and amazement that I had 23 videos of incidents. Taking away the fun stuff, the good drivers, and the stuff that happened to others, leaves 19 incident videos. I've done about 4500 miles in that time, so it averages at 1 per 230 miles. Even then, most of the 19 videos are about relatively minor stuff.

f1_fan

Crankarm said:
This is because they know that most drivers including themselves drive much of the time like complete idiots and if they were to cycle they would more than likely encounter many of the them risking being knocked off seriously injured or killed. Their fear of cycling is self perpetuating. There are many drivers male or female that are selfish bullying cowards. Simples.

What a stupid and ludicrously presumptuous statement?

I no longer cycle as for me (and for goodness sake take note of the for me there) it is just too dangerous. I narrowly avoided serious injury in 1990 and I decided to not cycle again. My life, my decision.

f1_fan

BentMikey said:
Yeah, I'm doing about the same sort mileage myself. I laughed when I saw the subaru forum comments of horror and amazement that I had 23 videos of incidents. Taking away the fun stuff, the good drivers, and the stuff that happened to others, leaves 19 incident videos. I've done about 4500 miles in that time, so it averages at 1 per 230 miles. Even then, most of the 19 videos are about relatively minor stuff.

My amazement is not that they happen, but that you can actually be bothered to go home, download them, edit them and post them :becool:

Crankarm

Guru
f1_fan said:
What a stupid and ludicrously presumptuous statement?

I no longer cycle as for me (and for goodness sake take note of the for me there) it is just too dangerous. I narrowly avoided serious injury in 1990 and I decided to not cycle again. My life, my decision.

Why is it dangerous? See my post above #385 which will give you an indication.

f1_fan

Crankarm said:
Why is it dangerous? See my post above #385 which will give you an indication.

And a ludicrously presumptuous comment into the bargain :becool:

If you had said 'some' drivers and left out the 'including themselves' then it would have given your statement some credibility, as it is you are in my 'persecution complex' file!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm still slightly amazed how so many people think cycling is dangerous. It's certainly intimidating, but roughly as dangerous as walking in the UK, so very safe by the standards of just about all the things most do on a daily basis. Cycling is in fact so safe that on average regular cyclists can expect to live 2 years longer than the general population.

Mind you, most people don't think walking is dangerous, and forget about the many people that get taken out by cars on the pavement, for example.

f1_fan said:
My amazement is not that they happen, but that you can actually be bothered to go home, download them, edit them and post them :becool:

Not when it takes only a few minutes to post one up. Modern technology. What's really funny is the sense of horror and outrage on the subaru forum that someone might film *their* bad driving. :biggrin:

Top Bottom