BentMikey and a Subaru Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Crankarm said:
Why is it dangerous? See my post above #385 which will give you an indication.

I'm not sure I agree with you Crankarm. I don't agree that most drivers are inherently dangerous. A lot aren't as skilled as they perhaps could be, but not outright dangerous. That might be an issue in extra-ordinary situations, but for day to day rides aren't any trouble at all. Decent road positionng and awareness of the road and likely numpty behaviour of drivers by cyclists (and other drivers as well in fact) will mitigate most problems.

The dangerous ones are the ones like BM's Scooby driver. The sort of person who literally thinks he owns the road, and other people should get off it. The sort of person who drives far too close, but is aware of his surroundings enough that he can stop on a sixpence because he knows exactly where the sound is coming from when honked. I'm delighted that BM brought him to task over his behaviour (though I still wouldn't have posted the video on YouTube personally, but meh). However I'm left a little disappointed that someone can act like that on the road, and be allowed back in their car the very same day. But he is in the very significant minority.

f1_fan - Cycling is not dangerous. It isn't. Come out for a ride with one of us.

Crankarm

Guru
Kaipaith said:
I'm not sure I agree with you Crankarm. I don't agree that most drivers are inherently dangerous. A lot aren't as skilled as they perhaps could be, but not outright dangerous. That might be an issue in extra-ordinary situations, but for day to day rides aren't any trouble at all. Decent road positionng and awareness of the road and likely numpty behaviour of drivers by cyclists (and other drivers as well in fact) will mitigate most problems.

The point is that many motorists would NEVER cycle as they know how inconsiderate, thoughtless, selfish, careless, reckless and dangerous they or their fellow vehicle road users can be and often are, as instanced by the OP's footage. Therefore the very people who would never cycle because they say it is too dangerous are the very people creating and perpetuating the dangers.

Cycling is dangerous. If a cyclist is involved in a collision with a vehicle you are likely to be seriously injured or killed. If a driver has a collision whilst driving a car they are more likely to survive or suffer less severe injury as a vehicle offers so much more protection. Vehicles are now very safe for their occupants.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
Cycling is dangerous. If a cyclist is involved in a collision with a vehicle you are likely to be seriously injured or killed. If a driver has a collision whilst driving a car they are more likely to survive or suffer less severe injury as a vehicle offers so much more protection. Vehicles are now very safe for their occupants.

Cycling is not a dangerous activity; cyclists are vulnerable though.

Crankarm

Guru
BentMikey said:
No, this is rubbish. Sure, there is some danger, but cycling is nowhere near dangerous, it's roughly as safe as many other common daily activities we all partake in.

Well I guess it is all down to your common daily activities then. Maybe you regularly pot hole, are an oxy-acetylene welder, coal miner, fireman, work as a soldier or bomb disposal expert in Afghanistan, or regularly cycle in Central London. Cycling in itself is not dangerous it only becomes so when in proximity to cars, vans, trucks and other vehicular traffic. Unless of course you are a Pro cyclist or down hill racer where crashing is an ouccpational hazard.

Crankarm

Guru
f1_fan said:
I no longer cycle as for me (and for goodness sake take note of the for me there) it is just too dangerous. I narrowly avoided serious injury in 1990 and I decided to not cycle again. My life, my decision.

So please enlighten us as to what this incident was?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Don't be silly Crankarm. You might have once thought that general cycling is dangerous, but you should by now know that was wrong.

p.s. Do keep up at the back, f1_fan already posted about his incident.

Crankarm

Guru
BentMikey said:
Don't be silly Crankarm. You might have once thought that general cycling is dangerous, but you should by now know that was wrong.

p.s. Do keep up at the back, f1_fan already posted about his incident.

I can't be bothered to trawl through 40 pages to find it. I posted at the start of thread then dropped out as it got boring and tedious. I somehow seem to have now been sucked in.

So if cycling isn't dangerous BM why are you tooled up with a helmet cam? Presumably you don't carry one because you are a budding film maker ;):biggrin:?

Dan B

Disengaged member
If we're going to do the semantic quibbling thing, f1_fan is probably still incorrect to state "for me it is too dangerous" unless (a) his particular circumstances make cycling much more dangerous than it usually would be for anyone else (e.g. he has a balance problem, or is blind, or his bicycle is made out of razorblades and painted with contact explosive), or (;) he has also given up doing everything else that's similarly dangerous or more dangerous. Like, say, walking.

If he'd said "I feel it is too dangerous" or "I do not feel safe" or even just "I don't like it" - which is probably what he meant to say all along, then that would be his personal opinion to which he's entitled, and unchallengeable.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crankarm said:
So if cycling isn't dangerous BM why are you tooled up with a helmet cam? Presumably you don't carry one because you are a budding film maker ;):biggrin:?

Yeah yeah. Cycling might not be dangerous, but it can also be safer than it currently is.

Crankarm said:
Well I guess it is all down to your common daily activities then. Maybe you regularly pot hole, are an oxy-acetylene welder, coal miner, fireman, work as a soldier or bomb disposal expert in Afghanistan, or regularly cycle in Central London. Cycling in itself is not dangerous it only becomes so when in proximity to cars, vans, trucks and other vehicular traffic. Unless of course you are a Pro cyclist or down hill racer where crashing is an ouccpational hazard.

I agree with Crankarm in many ways.It is made dangerous by inconsiderate drivers who drive to fast without due care and attention.Obviously it would be safer if there wern't nutters driving tin boxes who lose their rag at you because you or me point out that it probably isn't a good idea to use a mobile when driving.

Obviously if there were no cars or vehicles out their i'd be happier because I wouldn't have a bigger chance of being taken out by some idiot.

A lot of these people think they are better than what they are at the task they are doing and get an inflated opinion of themselves which seems to have spread to this forum.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's crazy to say that cycling is dangerous - I've managed it for safely for years and I was still alive last time I looked.

Dangerous is smoking cigarettes, tombstoning, being obese, playing Russian Roulette, etc.

It's not crazy.It's an opinion.

I've been doing it for 30+ years but so what.Im saying it can be dangerous.

I think mobiles just up the risk factor.

I feel safer walking on the pavement probably because I am.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
hackbike 666 said:
I feel safer walking on the pavement probably because I am.

Not when you measure the risk by mile. Then it's actually more dangerous to walk. Admittedly walking is slightly less dangerous when measured by hour, but they are in the same ballpark.

Top Bottom