Beryl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
There's a very interesting article in this weeks Cycling News where they put one of her old bikes and a similar sized rider in a wind tunnel to figure out what advantage todays Cyclists have as they take on her records.

Whilst its not pure science, the results are most interesting. (No spoilers from me!) :angel:

Can't find an online link.

GuyBoden

Guru
There's a very interesting article in this weeks Cycling News where they put one of her old bikes and a similar sized rider in a wind tunnel to figure out what advantage todays Cyclists have as they take on her records.

Whilst its not pure science, the results are most interesting. (No spoilers from me!) :angel:

Can't find an online link.

Thanks, it's here:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...es-would-she-be-posting-with-todays-equipment

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Thanks but that's about 1/4 of it....Probably have to subscribe to see it all.

You can buy a single issue (digital or paper). The gist of the findings is that BB would still hold all records except the 10. Screenshot:-

bb.JPG

Petrichorwheels

Thanks but that's about 1/4 of it....Probably have to subscribe to see it all.

Isn't that test from this book?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59785154-beryl
Just finished it. Got from a public library ebook service. Recommended.
Must admit that until a few years ago I had never heard of her. The book kind of explains why my ignorance could be excused.
Amazing woman.
Yorkshire can be proud of her.
Book doesn't shy away from some of her more problematical traits, one or two episodes verge on the psychotic.
Somewhat surprised her life hasn't been made into a low budget brit film or a short TV series.
Will look out for play though have read the odd poor review.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The latest book by Jeremy Wilson is very good.
There are other previous books about Beryl Burton and her exploits on a bike.

Petrichorwheels

The latest book by Jeremy Wilson is very good.
There are other previous books about Beryl Burton and her exploits on a bike.

The book i read - see above.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Isn't that test from this book?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59785154-beryl
Just finished it. Got from a public library ebook service. Recommended.
Must admit that until a few years ago I had never heard of her. The book kind of explains why my ignorance could be excused.
Amazing woman.
Yorkshire can be proud of her.
Book doesn't shy away from some of her more problematical traits, one or two episodes verge on the psychotic.
Somewhat surprised her life hasn't been made into a low budget brit film or a short TV series.
Will look out for play though have read the odd poor review.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to order that.

Petrichorwheels

By the by, hope not too much of a spoiler. Apparently her ashes were scattered in spain near where she used to train (based in a very cheap self catering place where she delighted in the cheap quality veg). Did surprise me that it wasn't yorkshire.

I've got her autobiography, Personal Best, & had it for a lot of years

As far as I know, the 'wall-painting' at Woodrup Cycles (Kirkstall Road, Leeds) is still there?
I took these in July 2017

Beryl Burton. 1.JPG

Beryl Burton. 3.JPG

In the village I grew up in, as well as it being where Barry Hoban also grew up, & his father lived in until he died (& his sister, who I know quite well, still lives there), one of BBs adversaries/National team-comparades lives (or lived) there; Val Rainbow

My copy (from my files)
CD6FA202-39CA-4CD3-9A17-F4294F07D4FF.jpeg

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

I've got her autobiography, Personal Best, & had it for a lot of years

As far as I know, the 'wall-painting' at Woodrup Cycles (Kirkstall Road, Leeds) is still there?
I took these in July 2017

View attachment 668542

View attachment 668544

In the village I grew up in, as well as it being where Barry Hoban also grew up, & his father lived in until he died (& his sister, who I know quite well, still lives there), one of BBs adversaries/National team-comparades lives (or lived) there; Val Rainbow

My copy (from my files)
View attachment 668545

Fair to assume that the bloke in the "painting" is her saintly husband?

Top Bottom