best all year round chain lubricant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I have been using Finish Line dry teflon bike lube for the last year, I use all year even in wet conditions. Is this the best lube available that will keep my chain+ in good working order. I do not like the winter lubes as they tend to gather lots of dirt and grit. Has anyone every used a lube called purple extreme?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
One of the girls at work rates the purple extreme very highly . I keep asking her to bring it in so I can try it out but she never does .

jim55

Guru
I'm actually looking at buying more just now , app there's no better than chainsaw oil ,and even better I can get it for free from work, a few on here recommend it instead of paying for an overhyped brand such as finish line

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Anything at all would be good as I seem to live in the 'land of the squeaky bikes' judging by the number of mountain BSOs I've been overtaking on the trike.
Mind you that's 'cheating' cos I've been using the electric power a lot lately. :cycle: :giggle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm actually looking at buying more just now , app there's no better than chainsaw oil ,and even better I can get it for free from work, a few on here recommend it instead of paying for an overhyped brand such as finish line
But which one? There's almost as wide a range of chainsaw oils as bike oils.

Some technically-knowledgeable and rather experimentally-minded people discussed it on CTC forum recently around http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93568&p=862291#p862291

bpsmith

Veteran
There is no best all year round lube. There will be a trade off between wet and dry lubes. Each have their pro's and con's which differ in the wrong conditions.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've been using ProGold all for a number of years. I don't get this having to use a thicker oil in winter. Sure the ProGold needs replenishing more frequently when it's persisticating down all day, but I've yet to get a squeaky chain even on a wet 200km... and it never builds up a thick layer of clag. Combined with regular 'mickling' a thin oil is best in my book.

I got a small sample of purple extreme from one of the online places once. IIRC it is a similar consistency to ProGold

U

User6179

I use 3in1 spray all year , get over 20000 miles out one tin ,I use the straw provided and just oil inside the chain , takes 30 seconds to oil .

upload_2015-2-6_12-13-0.jpeg

Top Bottom