Best Bar in the World? Now or then and why.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am going for the long gone Doors Bar, Koh Samui, Thailand.
A cheap bottle of Chang from a battered 50's fridge. Badly drawn Jim Morrisons on the walls and Riders On The Storm coming out of a baked bean tin somewhere outside.
Gastropub? You bet! You could accompany your Chang with a chicken sandwich, so long as the barman could catch one of the key ingredients pecking around your feet.

I think it had come to 'The End' even before the new airport arrived in '95, so it was a 500 mile bus, ferry, tuk tuk from Bangkok to reach the place.

Simple but effective and magic.

Got any good ones that bring back great memories?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have not been in them all. How would I know?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Doesn't sound like the Briar's is going to match but it was the first place that I had alcohol, the first non school disco and the first one I arrived at driving a car other than that it was also the nearest one to home at the time.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Pip's in Roppongi, Tokyo back in the day. Great rock and roll bar, Shinji, great barman, Lemmy, Stevie Salas, Tommy Lee and Vince Neil regularly popped in. Fabulous jukebox, cheap jockeys of beer, cocktails and always a crazy place to be.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It was Marathon, but ruined by Snickers.

Mars the old favourite but controversially I'd go dark Bounty.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Definitely The Marquee, where I once got mistaken for John McVie in the loo. I think Mayall was playing.
There was a drinking spot I used to frequent in Goodge Street called the The Capricorn Club, which was in a dive bar in a basement. Pretty dodgy place also full of ladies of the night. Mick the owner would also distribute other forms of stimulus besides drink. Never raided by the Old Bill so I guess they must have had 'an arrangement '. Not the best in the world but interesting. Good old London eh.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
For me, The Dog and Parrot, when I first moved to Newcastle. It was rowdy, and wild, but a lot of fun. The couple who ran it at the time were essentially a surrogate family.

Then it changed ownership and all the regulars got barred for various small things. Specifically, if you knew what you were doing, you could stamp at one corner of the pool table, causing your ball to fall in, Tall Phil got barred for that.

Somehow, despite all the terrible things I've been up to in there I haven't been barred, but it's soulless now and nowhere near as enjoyable.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Brokers in Mannheim, Germany.

Staff were dressed up in bowler hats and waistcoats and, above the bar, there was an led sign with the top 20 selling drinks. The ones near the top were more expensive and the trick was to wait until the drink you wanted dropped down the list, therefore the price reduced, and get a round in when you think that’s as low as the price will get.

Awesome bar.

Top Bottom