Best Bar in the World? Now or then and why.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Not sure about the intrepid fox. A metal hangout? Saw the undertones at the old marquee. Plus merton parkas. And took band pics there once.

The Fox was indeed a metal hangout.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
One more shout out. The Spring Lounge in New York ..... dead at 1am, bursting by 4am. A late night legend. (And they had a full size shark hanging over the bar) ^_^

I’ve been to the highest Irish bar

image.jpg

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I’ve been to the highest Irish bar

View attachment 669410

I dread to think what an Irish pub at altitude is like ... thank the lord.
I watched Italia 90 in Irish bars and have barely recovered.

Petrichorwheels

I dread to think what an Irish pub at altitude is like ... thank the lord.
I watched Italia 90 in Irish bars and have barely recovered.

I avoided most. Well remember the london 90s explosion of oirish bars in london. Themed knick-knackery and crap beer. Guess there weren't enough Irish to go round.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Italia '90 was a mammoth Irish pub crawl around the 10 or so in manhatten. Total carnage due to the two lads from Limmerick leading the charge ....

Adam4868

Guru
One more shout out. The Spring Lounge in New York ..... dead at 1am, bursting by 4am. A late night legend. (And they had a full size shark hanging over the bar) ^_^
Been in a lot of bars in NY whilst working on a ship and docking in NY,plenty of dives in the early 90s ! But I can only really remember the Anchor bar by name which was our local near the port.Saying that the Pig (crew bar) on the QE2 was wild,plenty of nights drinking till 6/7 am and going straight to breakfast service half cut.You don't really appreciate them at the time,only when you reminisce when older ?

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Been in a lot of bars in NY whilst working on a ship and docking in NY,plenty of dives in the early 90s ! But I can only really remember the Anchor bar by name which was our local near the port.Saying that the Pig (crew bar) on the QE2 was wild,plenty of nights drinking till 6/7 am and going straight to breakfast service half cut.You don't really appreciate them at the time,only when you reminisce when older ?

That's reminded me of one. The Shipwrights Arms in Poole. Demolished in the '80s but the only pub where I heard actual sea-shanty's sung.

Top Bottom