Best bike for infrequent touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A commuter / leisure rider who tours infrequently needs a new bike. For most use a hybrid is best (£500-800). For touring you're probably talking £1000+ for a spa tourer or something from a mainstream source.

Which is best to get?

A hybrid could be a lighter and potentially faster option for less money. The tourers seem to be 15kg beasts that are overkill for day to day use. However tour with a hybrid you're probably going to regret not getting a tourer. Or are you?

BTW hybrid would be something that can take front pannier rack (pinnacle do one as do trek and specialized iirc).

Then you can buy aluminium frame / steel forked tourers for £700-800. Are these worth looking at? Double for an all steel? If you're used to touring on a bombproof aluminium hardtail would you notice and appreciate full steel tourer? Do they make practical everyday bikes? Are they faster on the road than a hardtail with slicks?

All bikes need to be flat barred (perhaps a not to be missed drop bar deal might make this negotiable).

Any advice on bike buying for a one bike does commuting, leisure riding and annual loaded tour?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A one bike 'do it all' solution eh?

You don't need to spend a heap of money on it. I would suggest a a steel framed bike could certainly be in contention here. I would always chose one over most else but that's a just a personal preference. It will be a bit heavier than a ALU/carbon option which may or may not worry you.
This is my Spech AWOL which I bought for little money second hand and had to replace many of the cheap components someone had fitted. I later converted to drops. So I got a commuter/tourer for a reasonable price.

IMG_0815.JPG

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My commuter hybrid is also an excellent tourer when I bolt on the cheap front pannier rack. Cost me £500 (end of year reduction) in 2010 www.cyclechat.net/threads/2010-gt-traffic-1-0-hybrid-any-reviews-experience.66029

Mini tour here - www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-866#post-4760979

www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-871#post-4765980

upload_2018-7-16_9-36-55.png

And here, loaded up ready for a nights camping at the top of Holme Moss ready for the next days TdF stage....

upload_2018-7-16_9-45-56.png

Any bike can tour but a hybrid is as good as any.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I got back to cycling just over 6 years ago and for that entire time, it's been done on an alloy framed tourer. I've yet to go on a tour though, apart from two failed attempts.
It's done shopping trips, towed a kiddie trailer with my girls in it, been bumped over moors and rocky descents, day rides out with a bike club full of roadies and everything in between.
Off the shelf it weighed around 31lb /14kg and with all the stuff in my saddlebag came in at around 45lb, but then again I carry everything but the kitchen sink.
A good set of tyres made a world of difference to it's rolling ease and comfort (I thoroughly recommend Vittoria Hyper Voyagers if going 700c).
The upright sitting position of many tourers make for comfy all day rides too.
The worst thing about an alloy tourer is that the frame in my experience will be teeth rattlingly harsh due to oversized tubes and overbuilding to counteract tube fatigue.
No doubt I'll be shot for again mentioning it, but,

Spa Steel Tourer.
Get one! Available in flat bar or drop, a choice of colours, handbuilt wheels, bombproof rear rack, bottle cages supplied and really really nice handling weighing in at 13kg. £945 ish.

A commuter / leisure rider who tours infrequently needs a new bike. For most use a hybrid is best (£500-800). For touring you're probably talking £1000+ for a spa tourer or something from a mainstream source.

Which is best to get?

A hybrid could be a lighter and potentially faster option for less money. The tourers seem to be 15kg beasts that are overkill for day to day use. However tour with a hybrid you're probably going to regret not getting a tourer. Or are you?

BTW hybrid would be something that can take front pannier rack (pinnacle do one as do trek and specialized iirc).

Then you can buy aluminium frame / steel forked tourers for £700-800. Are these worth looking at? Double for an all steel? If you're used to touring on a bombproof aluminium hardtail would you notice and appreciate full steel tourer? Do they make practical everyday bikes? Are they faster on the road than a hardtail with slicks?

All bikes need to be flat barred (perhaps a not to be missed drop bar deal might make this negotiable).

Any advice on bike buying for a one bike does commuting, leisure riding and annual loaded tour?

I'd suggest a 90's era rigid mountainbike.
Great all weather/surface commuter. Throw a couple of racks on and it's good to go as a tourer.

You can pick them up very cheap, spec them out to your own needs and still come in cheaper than off the shelf bikes.

My previous bike, Alu hybrid died (chainstays cracked) after about 10-12000 km loaded, so I bought an old steel Trek MTB. Over the past 3 years used it as a daily commuter (42 km), weekend tourer and long distance tourer. Last year, I actually bought a second just for commuting at the princely sum of Euro 30.

I've taught myself the basics of bike mechanics, changed out what I wanted and now have a go anywhere bike. Pretty much no matter where I go I can cannibalise a local bike for parts, or even a frame if necessary.

If you wanted to do this and you tour heavy (I do!) look at getting a set of touring standard wheels. Use the generic ones for commuting and throw on the good ones for touring. That way you always have a spare for those Monday mornings you're facing a flat!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Any triple triangle GT's

Another to throw in the mix is an On One Inbred

Lots on the second hand market and they have sensible frames that can take panniers and mudguards

My commuter hybrid is also an excellent tourer when I bolt on the cheap front pannier rack. Cost me £500 (end of year reduction) in 2010 www.cyclechat.net/threads/2010-gt-traffic-1-0-hybrid-any-reviews-experience.66029

Mini tour here - www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-866#post-4760979

www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-871#post-4765980

View attachment 419612

And here, loaded up ready for a nights camping at the top of Holme Moss ready for the next days TdF stage....

View attachment 419614

Any bike can tour but a hybrid is as good as any.
What the hell did you barbecue on that, Antelope?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What the hell did you barbecue on that, Antelope?
Yorkshire lamb ;)

Big T

Guru
My experience is that a tourer is fine on the flat in a group, but very hard work uphill. My wife can drop me if I'm on my tourer and she's on her road bike going uphill.

wisdom

Guru
A good second hand galaxy or super galaxy would do just fine.After all that's what they are made for.
I use it on my commute sometimes and it's great and does get a move on when I'm up for it.Its steel framed and a very comfy ride.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
What about this posted in found a bargain thread https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-framesets/dolan-preffisio-aluminium-road-frameset-6247.html Frame only, so you can build it up to your required spec :okay:
Mudguard & rear rack mounts, similar to my winter bike, Kineses Racelight, which I have used for light touring (after changing gearing) & it coped fine. It's a great winter bike/commuter & suited to light touring. I did a coast to coast to coast a couple of years ago on it. Hornsea to Morecambe & back over 4 days, traveling light, staying in B&Bs. Better than full on tourer for regular use :okay:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You can tour on anything within reason. I know old rigid mountain bikes are still pretty popular, and most tourists around Europe use flat barred bikes.. However I like drop bars and my (steel) Dawes Horizon. Yes it's heavier than my carbon road bike, but it's not actually much slower in real life. I started with a Dawes Vantage, which was a bit harsher, but not to the extent it spoilt my touring. In some ways i miss the rigidity of that bike.

For a good, old fashioned steel tourer I found these recently. https://www.bikesheduk.com/claud-butler-dalesman-2010

Yes they are an old model, but that's a very good bike for the price. If I didn't already have a steel tourer I would be very tempted.

The worst thing about an alloy tourer is that the frame in my experience will be teeth rattlingly harsh due to oversized tubes and overbuilding to counteract tube fatigue.
No doubt I'll be shot for again mentioning it, but,

Spa Steel Tourer.
Get one! Available in flat bar or drop, a choice of colours, handbuilt wheels, bombproof rear rack, bottle cages supplied and really really nice handling weighing in at 13kg. £945 ish.

Your comment on the alloy chimes with my impression, though this is ally:

https://www.koga.com/en/bikes/trekking/collection/worldtraveller.htm?frame=H

and has a very good reputation.

Must admit I have sometimes/often wondered why they didn't go for steel, especially at that price point.

The Spa does sound like excellent value - significantly better than the Hewitt I bought. And probably more sensibly specced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom