Best bike for infrequent touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
if it helps, I bought this recently for a reasonable price. will be doing some over night type touring and it does the shopping when I don't want to drive (which is most of the time)

its not fast but its bloomin comfortable. I suppose my point is that with a bit of digging, you may get something you want for cheaper than you want to pay.

By all accounts, decathlon are bringing out a range of bikes called triban at the end of the year, they were linked in the found a bargain thread a while ago, have a look because they look great value and probably tick all your boxes if you want to go down the new bike route

img_20180708_150419-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_150419[1].jpg
    IMG_20180708_150419[1].jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 49

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A hybrid could be a lighter and potentially faster option for less money. The tourers seem to be 15kg beasts that are overkill for day to day use. However tour with a hybrid you're probably going to regret not getting a tourer. Or are you?
I don't think so, if you pick the right hybrid and are confident in your decision. Really, a tourer is usually just a different type of road-roadster hybrid, usually with drop bars. For some reason, it's the flat-bar town-CX-MTB hybrid which has become known as "a hybrid".

Any advice on bike buying for a one bike does commuting, leisure riding and annual loaded tour?
I use my roadster for all of those, an upgraded Dutchie Dapper 3.

18kg??? :ohmy:That's ridiculous for an unloaded bike.
:tongue: It depends how big the frame is and what equipment is attached. My roadster and hybrid are both about that now but I'm about 6 foot and the roadster has hub brakes, hub gears, hub dynamo, trailer hitch, chainguard, double-foot stand and a rear rack that can carry a passenger; while the hybrid is still set up for winter. Even my road bike with wiry rack, no lights and no stand is over 12kg.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It is worth noting that the frame is a small percentage of the overall weight of a bike. A tourer unladed will only be 15kg if it has robust components fitted. So it's possible to have a tourer at a much lower unladen weight. How robust do the components need to be? Depends what kind if touring you will be doing.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
No doubt I'll be shot for again mentioning it, but,

Spa Steel Tourer.
Get one! Available in flat bar or drop, a choice of colours, handbuilt wheels, bombproof rear rack, bottle cages supplied and really really nice handling weighing in at 13kg. £945 ish.

I won't shoot you. I love mine! It rolls like a dream. It feels equally at home unloaded or loaded up with full camping gear, unlike my Ultra Galaxy that only ever felt right with four panniers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My first road bike, bought in 2011, is a Specialized Secteur Elite with a triple chainring. I swapped the smallest chainring for a 28 because I'm rubbish on hills, so I now have some pretty good low gears. The bike is fairly light, and the riding position is quite relaxed and upright. There are fixings for a decent rear rack which I've used for a few light tours with a 12kg pannier load. The only problem is that it tends to sit on its bum if you try and drag it up steps.

Edit: I used 25mm tyres.

Bodhbh

Guru
And here, loaded up ready for a nights camping at the top of Holme Moss ready for the next days TdF stage....

View attachment 419614

Any bike can tour but a hybrid is as good as any.

We should get together and have a cook off...

AUPt0GD.jpg

I suppose illustrates you can tour on anything although was in Devon last weekend and the gear range was somewhat lacking.

18kg??? :ohmy:That's ridiculous for an unloaded bike.

I can't find the post you're refering too, but the old Rockhopper I used to tour on was around that. The frame wasn't particularly heavy, but - it's all about the build - by the time you've stuck on a touring wheelset, tyres, 2 racks, mudguards, 3 bottle cages, etc etc...

Top Bottom