Best biking buy ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not quite was there an hour ago !

gwhite

Über Member
fossyant said:
Whoooooo I've finally got one - Decathlon have their own make stand for £30 and it's pretty decent - very stable, the bike sits on a rubberised cup for the BB then a strap is passed over the down tube and locked into a quick release ratchet (like on your shoes) and there are front wheel 'stabilisers' as well. The whole unit is well made.

It held my heavy commuter MTB rather well, and for £30 I can't complain...... 20 years without one, I feel as though I've been missing something.....

Happy days.............
They also do a clamp type one (not their own make), but being a saddo, I don't want anything clamping my frame/paint !!!

Neither would I. But then that's why the clamp should be used to grip the seat-post.

got-to-get-fit

cyclebum said:
I have a bike stand, I keep it at the local Halfords and then let them do any adjustments necessary, while I sit at home infront of the computer or telly with my cup of tea or beer or wine in hand leaving the other hand free for the mouse or remote :rolleyes:

you leave your bike at Halfords ....are you insane? You dont deserve as workstand!

PrettyboyTim

My bike stand is a swingball pole resting on the back of a garden chair with the other end under the garden table. I hang the back end of the bike up on it by hooking the front of the seat over it.

Seems to to do the job for most things :evil:

Sometimes I hook the swingball pole over the climbing frame instead.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

PrettyboyTim said:
My bike stand is a swingball pole resting on the back of a garden chair with the other end under the garden table. I hang the back end of the bike up on it by hooking the front of the seat over it.

Sounds like a slightly lacklustre attitude to bike fettling to me, that although you joke about it now, might one day get you into trouble

longers

Legendary Member
PrettyboyTim said:

I have been known to put a broom handle between two wheelie bins and hang the bike from its saddle.

I'll probably get round to buying a proper workstand now they are a quite a bit cheaper. And a lot sturdier than two bins.

cyclingfury

Nice one longers!

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

cyclingfury said:
Nice one longers!

What exactly has longers done, that won't involve his children or neighbours having to get him out from under an amateur workstand gone wrong experiment?

PrettyboyTim

Abitrary said:
Sounds like a slightly lacklustre attitude to bike fettling to me, that although you joke about it now, might one day get you into trouble

That's true, but as the rear wheel of the bike is only a few inches off the ground and the front wheel rests on the ground, the potential energy available for an accident is limited. I'm sure I'll get a stand one day, but for now this is good enough for adjusting gears and brakes and cleaning the chain.

Top Bottom