Best Brompton Saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoho oy

Yes, I encountered that too, but you have the option of putting the rails through the upper pentaclip grooves, at the cost of increasing the height of the folded bike.
You mean saddle can be mounted on bottom part of pentaclip grooves too? When I fold my bike I have to push the seatpost quite a bit in order to fit in Ikea dimpa bag. I was wondering is it because I got extended seatpost, even it said regular...

berlinonaut

Veteran
Depending on when you got the bike: As far as I know (would not swear on it) at least with the new models (C-line etc) the short seatpost is gone and the former "extended" is the new standard. Possibly this has happened earlier last year already, also on normal models. I am pretty sure that the B75 may have had this even from it's invention.

yoho oy

Oh yah, I see now. Just watched Brilliantbikes video about pentaclip. My pentaclip is rotated upside down (compared with Brilliant bikes video) and saddle rails go trough top part... That is how it was assembled in a shop. Hmmmm...

Edit - brompton logo on pentaclip is projected correctly- bike stands on wheels. So I guess just the sides of pentaclip are rotated upside down.

Last edited:

u_i

Über Member
You mean saddle can be mounted on bottom part of pentaclip grooves too? When I fold my bike I have to push the seatpost quite a bit in order to fit in Ikea dimpa bag. I was wondering is it because I got extended seatpost, even it said regular...
Yes, of course, you can mount on top or bottom of the pentaclip. When you mount on the bottom, the pentaclip dives deeper into the saddle and leaves you less space for manipulating the bolt and you may need to be inventive in tightening it. I eventually switched to one with a hexagonal head as it was easier to turn it from the side. And, yes, mounting on the bottom makes the fold a tad more compact.

u_i

Über Member
Oh yah, I see now. Just watched Brilliantbikes video about pentaclip. My pentaclip is rotated upside down (compared with Brilliant bikes video) and saddle rails go trough top part... That is how it was assembled in a shop. Hmmmm...

Edit - brompton logo on pentaclip is projected correctly- bike stands on wheels. So I guess just the sides of pentaclip are rotated upside down.

There is no right or wrong there. You orient it whichever way you need to achieve your goal.

yoho oy

There is no right or wrong there. You orient it whichever way you need to achieve your goal.
No, I just was wondering why it is not that compact when folded- saddle and seatpost is sticking out quite a bit. After googling images, it seems that most people mount C17 on the top rail part, while some on bottom. Once I will get new seat I will take off pentaclip, pull out seatpost and measure. It might be extended rather than standard...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Extended as standard reflects the fact that people have got taller and need the longer post, but you won't get the smallest folded size. I think the telescopic post goes down further when folded, but it is rather heavy.

ExBrit

Über Member
Extended as standard reflects the fact that people have got taller and need the longer post, but you won't get the smallest folded size. I think the telescopic post goes down further when folded, but it is rather heavy.
If you only needed an extra inch over the standard seat post, could you get the extended one and chop off the length you don't need? I assume you would need to take it off the bottom.

yoho oy

Got the new saddle. http://www.activeddk.com/index.php?module=product&mn=1&f=content&tid=181469
Went for a ride. What a difference!!! No more saddle sore, no more saddle discomfort when riding! No more break in period or whatever! DDK makes some saddles in collaboration with Selle SMP and the saddle really feels and looks like quality product. Maximum width is at the bottom, saddle goes a little bit like a pyramid at the left and right edges in the back part. This one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/90-gel-bike-saddle/_/R-p-174606?mc=8389349 is a little bit wider, probably less padding as it is not gel, but almost 2 times less expensive.

Here it is in comparison with Brooks C17.
saddles2.png

It is not that much bigger than C17, It is just shaped more comfortable, at least for me. Don't have scales to weight it, but C17 feels a little bit heavier.
saddles.png

yoho oy

New DDK saddle has enough clearance and easy access to mount it either on top or bottom of a pentaclip.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Got the new saddle. http://www.activeddk.com/index.php?module=product&mn=1&f=content&tid=181469
Went for a ride. What a difference!!! No more saddle sore, no more saddle discomfort when riding! No more break in period or whatever! DDK makes some saddles in collaboration with Selle SMP and the saddle really feels and looks like quality product. Maximum width is at the bottom, saddle goes a little bit like a pyramid at the left and right edges in the back part. This one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/90-gel-bike-saddle/_/R-p-174606?mc=8389349 is a little bit wider, probably less padding as it is not gel, but almost 2 times less expensive.

Here it is in comparison with Brooks C17.
View attachment 627409

It is not that much bigger than C17, It is just shaped more comfortable, at least for me. Don't have scales to weight it, but C17 feels a little bit heavier.
View attachment 627410
The C17 is 14 grammes heavier and about 20mm narrower

CEBEP

We had serious depreciation of Turkish Lira and there is still some stock which was imported under previous rate of exchange with very attractive prices.

Couldn't resist to order another Brooks saddle today. Decided to keep my flame laquer all black except the frame and rivets, so ordered B17 Special Titanium black. It's 410gr, about a 100gr lighter than B17.

01.b211-a27202-b17-special_titanium-leather-black-3-4_1.jpg

Top Bottom