Best Brompton Saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoho oy

We had serious depreciation of Turkish Lira and there is still some stock which was imported under previous rate of exchange with very attractive prices.

Couldn't resist to order another Brooks saddle today. Decided to keep my flame laquer all black except the frame and rivets, so ordered B17 Special Titanium black. It's 410gr, about a 100gr lighter than B17.
It this fits you, then great. I honestly think that leather saddle probably is a bit more comfortable than rubber C17. Personally I would probably go with a tad wider B67... Now the question is - would I risk at least £80-90-100+ to find out? But back in a day I had a bicycle with leather saddle (was not Brooks) and it was very comfy, a bit on firm side, but lasted a lifetime without any maintenance. Another think is leather saddle is a bit on heavier side (at least cheaper non -titanium version). Sure I would prefer comfort over the weight, but little by little weight adds up... There is a certain point of weight why I bought Brompton over brand XYZ.

Last edited:

yoho oy

I guess for those who complain about prices (pointing at myself :laugh:) Brooks looks like a bargain compared to French leather saddles :laugh::laugh::laugh: https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/125-city-saddles 152- 233 euros!!!

berlinonaut

Veteran
I guess for those who complain about prices (pointing at myself :laugh:) Brooks looks like a bargain compared to French leather saddles :laugh::laugh::laugh: https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/125-city-saddles 152- 233 euros!!!
You do really have an unhealthy fixation on prices... :laugh: Maybe one day you will look at the product and the value it delivers first and only then on the price. There are more or less a handful of "branded" manufacturers of leather saddles in the area of touring and racing (there are a couple more but a lot are gone, like i.e. lepper seems to be):
Brooks, Selle Anatomica, Rivet and Berthoud. Brooks is by far the oldest of the four. I don't own a Rivet but I do own several Brooks, Selle Anatomica and one Berthoud. All are different, each with it's strengths and downsides, but all deliver high quality. USP of the Berthoud is i.e. that they are bolted rather than riveted (and therefor easier to repair) and that they are a lot lighter than the competiton w/o making a compromise in quality. USP of Selle Anatomica is that they fit almost everyone and are comfy from day one. USP of Brooks is the tradition and the wide range of products.
There are a bunch of cheaper manufacturers of leather saddles and a lot of brands that buy from them and rebrand it with their own name, like probably i.e. SPA does with their own branded leather saddles. Once more you may be lucky with such a saddle or have bad luck. Typically there are differences in craftmanship and quality, but maybe not relevant to you or for your needs. In the end it is always "you get what you pay for".
A more expensive product is not necessarily better than a cheaper one nor does it automatically fit your needs better but chances are that it will be of higher quality (that you may recognize and value or not). But clearly true is also that a product that costs more is only rarely recklessly priced or only on the same quality level as the cheapest product in the market. So if the price is your only criteria you will make bad buying decisions one after the other.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
You do really have an unhealthy fixation on prices... :laugh: Maybe one day you will look at the product and the value it delivers first and only then on the price. There are more or less a handful of "branded" manufacturers of leather saddles in the area of touring and racing (there are a couple more but a lot are gone, like i.e. lepper seems to be):
Brooks, Selle Anatomica, Rivet and Berthoud. Brooks is by far the oldest of the four. I don't own a Rivet but I do own several Brooks, Selle Anatomica and one Berthoud. All are different, each with it's strengths and downsides, but all deliver high quality. USP of the Berthoud is i.e. that they are bolted rather than riveted (and therefor easier to repair) and that they are a lot lighter than the competiton w/o making a compromise in quality. USP of Selle Anatomica is that they fit almost everyone and are comfy from day one. USP of Brooks is the tradition and the wide range of products.
There are a bunch of cheaper manufacturers of leather saddles and a lot of brands that buy from them and rebrand it with their own name, like probably i.e. SPA does with their own branded leather saddles. Once more you may be lucky with such a saddle or have bad luck. Typically there are differences in craftmanship and quality, but maybe not relevant to you or for your needs. In the end it is always "you get what you pay for".
A more expensive product is not necessarily better than a cheaper one nor does it automatically fit your needs better but chances are that it will be of higher quality (that you may recognize and value or not). But clearly true is also that a product that costs more is only rarely recklessly priced or only on the same quality level as the cheapest product in the market. So if the price is your only criteria you will make bad buying decisions one after the other.

I agree with some of that, and it may be more true of items that you use (by 'you' I mean collectively) or have to perform a function. And there is a huge difference between cost and value.

But there are tonnes of examples of things that are vastly overpriced for what they are. Like Balenciaga.

£825 for some trainers that are both ugly and look pre-worn.

Large-656065W3RA19000_F.jpg

https://www.balenciaga.com/en-gb/runner-trainers-white-656065W3RA19000.html

berlinonaut

Veteran
I agree with some of that, and it may be more true of items that you use (by 'you' I mean collectively) or have to perform a function. And there is a huge difference between cost and value.

But there are tonnes of examples of things that are vastly overpriced for what they are.
That's absolutely true - overpricing does exist. And - even worse: The higher you climb in the price range the smaller is often the gain in additional value that you get with the next price level. So the price step from a cheap to a decent product may be relatively small but bring loads of additional value but the step from a close-to-top end quality product to the absolute best in class may gain only little value but cost a fortune. As always: it depends. :blush:

12boy

Guru
The saddle sold by Spa has also been sold by Rivendell and Velo Orange. I have 4 of them, all for at least 5 years and much prefer them to Brooks as I find them more robust. My model is very narrow, the saddle sides join above the rails to prevent the sides from splaying, the undesaddle has a waterproof plastic mesh and the flat part of the rails are a bit longer, so more fore and aft adjustment is possible. The leather seems thicker than a Brooks. As we have already recognized, which saddle works for one person may be torture for another. I rarely get saddle sores when using these saddles.

ExBrit

Über Member
The saddle sold by Spa has also been sold by Rivendell and Velo Orange. I have 4 of them, all for at least 5 years and much prefer them to Brooks as I find them more robust. My model is very narrow, the saddle sides join above the rails to prevent the sides from splaying, the undesaddle has a waterproof plastic mesh and the flat part of the rails are a bit longer, so more fore and aft adjustment is possible. The leather seems thicker than a Brooks. As we have already recognized, which saddle works for one person may be torture for another. I rarely get saddle sores when using these saddles.
I've been scanning through this thread for a link to the Spa saddle that people are talking about but I don't see one. Could you provide a link, please?

Thanks

ExBrit

Über Member
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s204p0/Saddles/Saddles-Leather

Scroll down the page and you'll see the range that they do
Thanks - they don't ship to US :sad:
But I'll be in the UK in July, COVID willing ^_^

Last edited:

Schwinnsta

😄In the past, l road Selle Antomica. They are comfortable but one of ways they achieve that is by using longer rails. Over a relatively short period of time, my rails of the saddle bent. I am not particularly heavy, 175 pounds. Others have reported this as well. They claim to have fixed this. I have gone back to the stock saddle and have no issues with it. I do like the built handle.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Interesting. I don't have that problem (and like the longer rails). Two Selle Anatomica Saddles in use for years (though both actually not ridden on a daily basis but for a couple of years they were on my two main bikes). I find them a bit heavy and there was an early and regular need to rise the tension (which did not cause problems). Can't say anything against them.

CEBEP

That's absolutely true - overpricing does exist. And - even worse: The higher you climb in the price range the smaller is often the gain in additional value that you get with the next price level. So the price step from a cheap to a decent product may be relatively small but bring loads of additional value but the step from a close-to-top end quality product to the absolute best in class may gain only little value but cost a fortune. As always: it depends. :blush:
Exactly why one can find decent quality bags for Brompton on Aliexpress.

Last edited:

u_i

Über Member
Exactly why one can find decent quality bags for Brompton on Aliexpress.
Are you stating this based on some actual personal experience or just on browsing vendor pages? When I was looking for a pouch to hold a chain lock, the pouch that came from AliExpress had edges and straps so stiff that you could cut your hand and yet overall the bag was so weak that I would not entrust my chain to it. I could go at length about experiences with bag and other bike items out of fabric purchases while in China, so I am just asking :unsure:.

CEBEP

Are you stating this based on some actual personal experience or just on browsing vendor pages? When I was looking for a pouch to hold a chain lock, the pouch that came from AliExpress had edges and straps so stiff that you could cut your hand and yet overall the bag was so weak that I would not entrust my chain to it. I could go at length about experiences with bag and other bike items out of fabric purchases while in China, so I am just asking :unsure:.

I have handlebar bag from Aliexpress which is awesome. I have gopro mounts, mud flaps, front light bracket, Ti seatpost, pedal holder, kickstand and few other things. All of good quality, all that I use and enjoy. And yeah, you need to read reviews before you buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom