Best Cycling Routes in and around London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TotallySporty

In a recent feature article, TotallySporty.com identifies some of the best cycling routes around the Capital city.

• Brentford to Little Venice (Distance: 17.90 miles (28.8 km) / Average Duration: 3 hours)
- This car-free route takes an enjoyable journey through the centre of town via picturesque pubs, cafes and shops. This distance may appear too long for some, so why not try doing sections of it for a fun day out when with the family, or go the whole distance when in the need of a challenge.

• Hampton Court to Putney Bridge (Distance: 13 miles (20 km) / Average Duration: 1 hr 35 min)
- This provides a journey of discovery through south-west London, you will find yourself peddling a pathway from Hampton Court Palace, through the pedestrianised town of Kingston north along the river via Richmond Park (a wonderful London wilderness), to the finish at Barnes right by the Wetland Trust.

• Tamsin Trail in Richmond Park (Distance: 7 miles (11km) / Average Duration: 54 minutes)
- This is a circular route around the hidden wilderness of south west London, Richmond Park; it never fails but to be a completely beautiful route away from London’s bustle. The mostly car-free route encourages discovery of the parks attractions such as the Isabella Plantation and Pembroke lodge. This route can be easily combined with other cycle links inside and outside the park, such as Barnes and Putney to the East.

• Tower Bridge to Woolwich (Distance: 11 miles (17.70 km) / Average Duration: 1hr 20 min)
- This provides a more historic route around south east London’s past docks and surrounding parks, commencing at Tower Bridge and weaving its way to Maritime Greenwich. The route takes you past old waterfront warehouses, some derelict others converted to apartments, whilst winding through narrow streets and old alley ways until you reach the Cutty Sark (although not to be re-opened until 2011), National Maritime Museum and for those fancying an extra challenge a climb up the hill, The Royal Observatory.

• Galleries of the East End (Distance: 3.98 miles (6.4 km) / Average Duration: 3 hours, including gallery visits)
- In distance, this provides very little physical challenge, however it does provide the unique opportunity to journey through the artist capital of east London, beginning with Wharf Road Galleries, then on to Regent’s Studios, Vyner Street Studios, Mile End Art Pavilion and finishing at the Limehouse Gallery.

• Thames Valley Cycleway (Distance: 99 miles (159.32 km) (40 miles with no traffic) / Average Duration: 1 to 1.5 days)
- This ride is pretty strenuous if you decide to do the whole route, but in completing it as a whole or just taking parts you will be rewarded by the escape from the city rush. The route takes you along the Thames via Richmond and Hampton Court, continuing on to Windsor and Eton. The route continues through Maidenhead and Reading reaching the breathtaking Chiltern Hills, although arduous a climb, you will be rewarded by the historic Oxford that marks the finish of your ride.

To read the rest of the article or find out more cycling routes in London check out TotallySporty.com.

Feel free to reply with your own great cycling routes as well!

TotallySporty.com: London's new home for staying active!

In a recent feature article, TotallySporty.com identifies some of the best cycling routes around the Capital city.

• Brentford to Little Venice (Distance: 17.90 miles (28.8 km) / Average Duration: 3 hours)
- This car-free route takes an enjoyable journey through the centre of town via picturesque pubs, cafes and shops. This distance may appear too long for some, so why not try doing sections of it for a fun day out when with the family, or go the whole distance when in the need of a challenge.

• Hampton Court to Putney Bridge (Distance: 13 miles (20 km) / Average Duration: 1 hr 35 min)
- This provides a journey of discovery through south-west London, you will find yourself peddling a pathway from Hampton Court Palace, through the pedestrianised town of Kingston north along the river via Richmond Park (a wonderful London wilderness), to the finish at Barnes right by the Wetland Trust.

• Tamsin Trail in Richmond Park (Distance: 7 miles (11km) / Average Duration: 54 minutes)
- This is a circular route around the hidden wilderness of south west London, Richmond Park; it never fails but to be a completely beautiful route away from London’s bustle. The mostly car-free route encourages discovery of the parks attractions such as the Isabella Plantation and Pembroke lodge. This route can be easily combined with other cycle links inside and outside the park, such as Barnes and Putney to the East.

• Tower Bridge to Woolwich (Distance: 11 miles (17.70 km) / Average Duration: 1hr 20 min)
- This provides a more historic route around south east London’s past docks and surrounding parks, commencing at Tower Bridge and weaving its way to Maritime Greenwich. The route takes you past old waterfront warehouses, some derelict others converted to apartments, whilst winding through narrow streets and old alley ways until you reach the Cutty Sark (although not to be re-opened until 2011), National Maritime Museum and for those fancying an extra challenge a climb up the hill, The Royal Observatory.

• Galleries of the East End (Distance: 3.98 miles (6.4 km) / Average Duration: 3 hours, including gallery visits)
- In distance, this provides very little physical challenge, however it does provide the unique opportunity to journey through the artist capital of east London, beginning with Wharf Road Galleries, then on to Regent’s Studios, Vyner Street Studios, Mile End Art Pavilion and finishing at the Limehouse Gallery.

• Thames Valley Cycleway (Distance: 99 miles (159.32 km) (40 miles with no traffic) / Average Duration: 1 to 1.5 days)
- This ride is pretty strenuous if you decide to do the whole route, but in completing it as a whole or just taking parts you will be rewarded by the escape from the city rush. The route takes you along the Thames via Richmond and Hampton Court, continuing on to Windsor and Eton. The route continues through Maidenhead and Reading reaching the breathtaking Chiltern Hills, although arduous a climb, you will be rewarded by the historic Oxford that marks the finish of your ride.

To read the rest of the article or find out more cycling routes in London check out TotallySporty.com.

TotallySporty.com: London's new home for staying active!

:eek:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that might be NCN4. And it would take you that long. And you'd need a flat-barred bike.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
NCN4 as far west as Reading and thence north on NCN5. Perfectly do-able on a drop barred tourer over two days ime. Fairly hard work over one I'd say regardless of the straightness of its bars.

frank9755

Cyclist
NCN4 as far west as Reading and thence north on NCN5. Perfectly do-able on a drop barred tourer over two days ime. Fairly hard work over one I'd say regardless of the straightness of its bars.

As it happens, I did it in one day on my tourer (+ panniers) back in March this year. I was going for a conference on the Saturday and decided to take the Friday off and ride by this route. I recall it clocked up at 98 miles in total from my house in Ealing to the hotel I was going for just north of Oxford. I think it took me about 10 hours in total (including breaks for meals and a puncture).

Not a bad ride. Sections along the Thames near Richmond, the bit through Windsor Great Park and, in particular, the crossing of the Chilterns from Reading to Wallingford by very quiet roads, are the highlights.

Main thing to watch out for is the habit of riding on the right which, for some reason, seems to be very common in Maidenhead. I don't know why but I have noticed this whenever I've been near the place.

Top Bottom