best endurance saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A lot of bike shops will have loan saddles you can try out.
Some cycling groups do too.

I'm a fan of the classics: Concor, Turbo, Rolls, Unicanitor, the Selle Royal one whose name escapes me, Brooks and Lycett (which would be wrong on a road bike FWIW) and their clones. Mostly ridden unpadded (but beware butt seams) or with thin retro style pads, not the horrible deep gel common today.

Drago

Legendary Member
There is no one answer. What works for me might be purgatory for you! Tricky but try some. Borrow mates' bikes if you can. Many like the Charge Spoon. Brooks have many fans. I scour the Internet for old Turbomatics. I have never found anything better for me!

Hugh is wise. The standard Giant branded Selle saddles are some of the most comfortable and cosseting to my buttocks, yet they're red hot poker territory to you.

You've a journey of discovery ahead, and once you've found one that words for you be prepared to stick rabidly with it.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Brooks, Rolls, and Turbo seem to be commonest on long-distance events.
Brooks now have a couple of serious competitors in the form of Berthoud and Rivet.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Brooks, Rolls, and Turbo seem to be commonest on long-distance events.
Brooks now have a couple of serious competitors in the form of Berthoud and Rivet.
I have not tried one but "Rivet" does not strike me as a comfortable sounding saddle.

Don't worry: once you find one that works for you, the manufacturer will either discontinue it or "update" the design. :cursing:
yes. exactly. My favourite saddle could until pretty recently be had for £15. So I bought 2 more . Gutted that I stupidly wrecked a very recently fitted new one by stupidly lifting a loaded bike by its back edge. Sometimes seems to me that the bike industry is like some latter day marketing luddite, smashing its own machinery and products so that we have to go buy the more expensive worse stuff. Otherwise you would expect some of these good old products to still turn up, albeit in more distant bits of the world and under apparently more humble brands.
There's very little genuinely useful product innovation these days for day to day non racing cycling.

Reactions: mjr
@Part time cyclist have a look at the Selle smp range and if you fancy any of them its worth getting in touch with the uk importers Dillglove uk (i think) as they will loan one out for at least 2 weeks with a deposit .

I use the lite 209's on my main bikes and then another model on my commuters
+1 Selle SMP. I have the Dynamic on all my road bikes and the Brompton, basically any bike I am happy to tour on.

Top Bottom