Best ever kids shows growing up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Every single school holiday in the 1970s, the BBC would screen episodes of Flash Gordon, with Buster Crabbe playing the hero.

Infuriating scheduling - I was back at school before the series finished.
And those cliffhanger episode endings were a hoot.

Oh to have been in the recording studio watching Mike Sammes singers lined up singing "Supercar", so funny. Some of the tunes I can still sing word for word and have played piano versions of to confuse foreign guests.
Champion the Wonder Horse theme, so funny, Frankie Laine with horse canter scoring and occasional horn calls^_^
As for Get On Board with the double deckers, I loathe that tune.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Did you have the green truck where the roof flicked over to reveal a gun, spring loaded that you could fire matchsticks with it?
Yep, the SHADO Mobile. I had the Interceptor as well and I duly defended our back lawn from alien invasion with it despite the missiles having a range of about 18 inches:okay:.

Best episodes:

Mindbender:
Alien crystal makes Straker think he's just an actor in a TV show called UFO. Fun episode as the cast got to call themselves by their real names & you get to see the moonbase/Skydiver sets as really laid out in the studio.

Timelash:

Straker & Colonel Lake (Wanda Ventham, Benedict Cumberbatch's mum:okay:) experience a second stretched out to a whole day.

SheilaH

"The Changes", I gave up on after a few episodes, too many shots of people scared to walk under power lines. So not the best ever for me.

I posted a page or two back with the opening title sequence. Even that would scare the hell out of me. I was scared of powerlines until my 20s :laugh:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
He-Man
The Munsters

And definitely not a kids show, although I was brought up watching it (and still watch it now), Monty Python's Flying Circus!

Thunderbirds and Stingray were favourites, but most of all was Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Anything sci-fi really.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Although not specifically kids' shows, I enjoyed all the following as a kid:
The Addams Family, Beverley Hillbillies, and Bewitched,
which were pretty much pitched at about the intellectual level of the average 8yr old. I think Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha was my first crush. :wub:

GetFatty

Über Member
I saw listings for that show last week, "The Case of the Chatty Mums". Short of much else to watch on the box I will be taking a look.
I’m not sure I’d bother. I was just pretending to be very, very young and curious as to whether anyone would notice. I’m was the first name I saw in the TV listings 😊

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Every single school holiday in the 1970s, the BBC would screen episodes of Flash Gordon, with Buster Crabbe playing the hero.

Infuriating scheduling - I was back at school before the series finished.
And those cliffhanger episode endings were a hoot.
They inspired a small sci-fi movie called Star Wars. Dunno what happened to it though.....

The Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid, the Whirlybirds, William Tell. All late 50s when we got our first TV.

I loved all the old westerns of the 50s and one of the highlights of a road trip across the west US a few years back with my best friend since infant school days was a couple of nights spent in Lone Pine, California near the Alabama Hills where many of them were filmed. We were like kids again.

I’m not sure I’d bother. I was just pretending to be very, very young and curious as to whether anyone would notice. I’m was the first name I saw in the TV listings 😊
Ah if youv'e not seen then it is still possible I might still like it. I would not watch Teletubbies as the students did in the 90's but when there are jokes for the kids and the old kids i am up for it.

Top Bottom