Best freewheel for a singlespeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

I will be happy if the current Shimano freewheel makes it to the end of the month. Come better weather I will be looking for a new one. The Shimano has been on for a couple of years but the bearings are now shot and are very gritty. They were never great from new. They span freely but not smoothly, as if there was no grease in there and they would give up before long.

I have also had a Dicta freewheel. There was grease pouring out of that thing but it rusted on the sight of water, was generally cr4p and very difficult to remove.

I want a decent quality freehub that will run smooth and last as long as a Shimano. It should be removable with a tool like the Shimano and of course not break the bank. Nothing short of the holy grail then. I'm tempted by the Halo one but can anyone recommend one?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have used a few Dicta ones and never had any issues with any of them

OP
OP
E

earth

Glad you had a better experience of them. It did work but it rusted and I had to take the wheel to a shop to get it taken off. Given that they don't last forever I would appreciate if they had thought about how to get it off.

OP
OP
E

earth

I might take you up on that but I think 22t is a few too many.

If not where can you get them in UK?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
...If not where can you get them in UK?
Charlie The Bikemonger.

apb

Veteran
if you can afford it get the White industry free wheel. The quality of the engineering means you won't get the issues you mentioned with the dicta.

if i had one, £70 would make it the most expensive single component on my bike (inculding the frame). I have a shimano.

SS Retro

I found the shimano mx crap have sturmey archer on now bought as an interim fix to noisy shimano been really good smooth and silent. :smile:

Top Bottom