Best gig you ever went to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

I know that this smacks of the recent experience outweighing clear thinking, but I must say that the Jack Johnson concert on Tuesday night in Cardiff was excellent. Very mellow, but lots of surprises. I hear the London gig slightly topped it, if only for an air guitar encore.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This changes every time!

Devo - 1980
The Birthday Party - 1982
Steve Earle - 1988 (when he was still good)
Steve Young - 2002 (at my wedding!)
The Blasters - 2003
Everly Brothers - 2005
The Fabulous Thunderbirds - Next week

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Diificult as I've in reality seen so many, so..

These two were in someone's all top 20 gigs of all time :-
http://popdirt.com/q-magazine-lists-the-greatest-gigs-of-all-time/28482/

Nirvana reading 1992 - (prefered them the year before it was sunny & it rained in a lot 92)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp_fsPJmuYU

Radiohead - Glastonbury 1997 (it rained again, even more, a lot, bah hum bug :blush: )

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxHVQOfksM0&feature=PlayList&p=A9452C1232D7B37F&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=20

Lau - midland arts centre oct '07. They were jaw droppingly brilliant.
Apostle of Hustle - Queens university grad club, again in 07 - a small sweaty bouncy gig
Edwin Collins - Northumbria University April 08 - very moving
Orbital - Brixton Academy 04 - their 'final' gig. Just tremendous - as good as when I saw them at Glastonbury in 1995
The whole of tribal gathering in 1996 was awesome (well, the bits I remember), but I particularly enjoyed Hardfloor and Der Dritte Raum

I've been going to gigs since I was 8 years old so my memories are fading...

johnnyh

Veteran
Ozzy Osbourne - Bristol Studio 1987, no stage set, just Ozzy at his best.

Slayer - Newport was immense

The Ramones on their final tour - RIP lads

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
For years it would have been The Jam at Birmingham Bingley Hall 1982 on the Trans Global Unity Express tour, but now i would say Green Day last year at the NEC.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Lee 'Scratch' Perry at the Liverpool Academy in 2005. Pleasure that will live with me forever.

Runner up; Stevie Wonder (possibly the greatest man who still walks the earth) at that big place in Manchester in 2007.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Kirstie said:
Orbital - Brixton Academy 04 - their 'final' gig. Just tremendous - as good as when I saw them at Glastonbury in 1995

I was there in 95. I saw some of that, but I had work to do elsewhere...

I still think that the best gig I have see was dEUS at the Jericho Tavern in Oxford, back in 1991 or thereabouts.

Ranger

Difficult and good for different reasons:

Muse - NEC 2006ish, couldn't hear properly for 3 days. Wembley gig a year later felt like a let down
Simon and Garfunkel - Hyde Park (date: f**k knows), a fantastic night with fantastic friends that I can confidently say will never be repeated
Bjorn Again:blush:- 1993 probably one of the maddest nights of my life, first year at Uni, first night out with a group of people I chose to be with (after living in a small village with not much choice). The music wasn't important it was the whole night that made it something I still remember a few years later

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Eric Clapton, Albert Hall 1996. My ticket said row 3 so I thought I'd got a good seat. When we got into the Hall we found there were no rows 1 or 2 so 3 was the front row. Fantastic gig. Brilliant seats.

Many others over the years including Alberto Y Los Trios Paranois, Fabulous Poodles, Patti Smith, Robin Trower, Devo, The Jam, Motorhead (last 2 just before their first record releases), Iggy Pop too name but a few.
Many amatuer bands in pubs have been just as good as Pink Floyd "The Wall" just for the energy and enthusiasm. I was amazed to see that Frank White is still playing in ?Sheffield. Last saw Frank in the late 90's.

Top Bottom