Best music provider (or are they all the same)??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
My Spotify free account only plays an advert every half hour or so, I can live with that, also easy enough to select any music you like through the app.
I either use bluetooth or chromecast though and not a smart speaker.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My Spotify free account only plays an advert every half hour or so, I can live with that, also easy enough to select any music you like through the app.
I either use bluetooth or chromecast though and not a smart speaker.
Yes, thats why its going back. I can do the same as you and my Roberts radio is a better sound than the speaker.
Ii suppose it must be nice to just say "google, play x, y or z" but I am not going to pay £120 a year for it :blush:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Never had an issue with it myself. I had tried Spotify before iTunes, but found the sound quality inferior.
Now that surprises me.
I have absolutely how these streaming gizmos work but I assumed the 'sound' would be identical and dependant on your phone/speaker etc.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Tidal do CD quality or above (for a price), if you are that interested that is. I'm not sure that the others are quite as good quality, depends if it matters.

I have Spotify Premium which streams at 320kbps and it sounds superb. I did consider the faster services of eg Tidal but I don't think it would make any difference to my listening pleasure.

I'm a quite fussy listener with decent kit (Arcam rPlay streamer, Sugden Masterclass amplification, Dynaudio speakers) and I can't tell the difference between lossless and 320kbps.

Although maybe my old ears have a bearing on this. ^_^

mustang1

Guru
Don't you get that thing where, after downloading music, sometimes the music disappears after a while due to license expiring? I see that on the odd occasion.

BTW I use Prime most of the time.

icowden

Veteran
To be fair, my issue with iTunes isn't with the streaming service. It's trying to get music from my PC onto an iDevice. With a normal MP3 player you just drag and drop and a good one can play any format. Most of my music is OGG for example.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
IME:

Spotify (premium): used it for a while but got fed up with it suggesting my next songs. Also didn't like the interface.
Amazon Music: Even when paying for full Prime membership, you only get limited selection of music without upgrading further to prime music. They didn't have many of the bands I like on there.

And winner is: Google Play Music. £10/month, has voice control (handy for the car), I can find 95% of the things I search for. You also get free access to YouTube Music which always has the remaining 5% of music I can't find on Google Play (and with no ads). You can download albums to hear online, and make playlists etc.

Yes, I have that on my phone.
But.......
If I say to my device eg "right google, play the beatles" it/she just says "sorry, to choose specific tunes you need a premium streaming account" (not those exact words).
I can tell it "play classical music" but I cant tell it to play eg 1812 overture.
TBH.....I can do better on my phone and bluetooth it to my Roberts radio

i was going to say i use spotify a lot with the free account but not with a wifi speaker
that's a shame.i think spotify is pretty good, they have a massive choice of music and it's not too expensive

Top Bottom