Best Rear Mudguard for SMGT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Subflux

Hi,

Despite numerous bike shop staff / owners telling me which mudguards will fit and work on the SMGT, my rear mudguards keep breaking.

Do you know of a good rear mudguard wich fits and won't break in a few months?

Troubles I've had:
1) Rear Pannier touching too-large-a-mudguard when suspension flexes
2) Vertical vibration causing snapping in those mudguards with 2 horizontal stays instead of vertical + horizontal stays. (despite asking about this in advance and being assured by bike shop owner that it won't be an issue(!))
3) Snapping after drilling custom mount point (again, as recommended by bike shop)

I'd love to be able to just buy one single rear: it's the only one that keeps breaking: I have 3 unused front mudguards now after buying 3 sets to replace the broken rears...

henshaw11

Have you tried whatever the standard HP fitment is (just checked - SKS)? - I've got them on my Speedmachine and they're fine, I'd have thought the SPM version would be similar if not identical..

OP
OP
Subflux

Subflux

Thanks for the replies both.

It is SKS I had fitted last at the recommendation of LBS.

However it was the SKS "Commuter" with the twin parallel horizontal stays : this meant loads of vertical vibration, snapping the guard at the mounting point.

Which SKS to you guys have / recommend?

Thanks!

henshaw11

There's some hi-res piccies here:
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/presse/smgte_d.html

- yup, looks like the Blumels, the stays are rotated towards the rear and there's no brake bridge bracket (the Chromoplastics look similar - other than colour - but have a brake bridge bracket you don't need/want)

Looking on my SPM, the front end of the mudguard mounts to two points on the swingarm (via a plastic or rubber spacer) - if the same's the case on the SMGT and you're only using one, that might not help matters.

The other thing is, it looks like the standard Blumels would need the forwards end trimmed back (piccies on the above link should help) - without that there's be way too much mudguard flapping around.

Alternatively, it might be worth dropping HP an email, they're generally fairly responsive, there may be a particular part number that's a direct fitment - but you'd probably have to order one.

Top Bottom