Best rides of 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
Our five day ride consisting of five old men who rode from Holyhead to Cardiff following the Lon Las Cymru in June 2018.

DA73CBB4-C739-4858-9B86-65DA52A8050C.jpeg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I still haven't been to Aldi (or was it Lidl?) for some of that chocolate you shared, blooming lovely it was

I'd forgotten about that - might have been one or the other.

We picked a lovely place to stop, off a little lane next to a small bridge by a river.

Real peace and tranquillity - one of those rare occasions when for a few minutes all was well with the world.

pjd57

Veteran
Glasgow to Edinburgh and back again.
All on the canals. Fund raising for a local charity.
115 miles.
I wouldn't recommend the Union canal to anyone as a cycle route though.

Favourite was a birthday run in March , in the aftermath of the beast from the east.
It was supposed to be an easy plod out from Glasgow to the Kelpies but the canal path was under a lot of snow.
We went north to Fintry and up round the Lake of Mentieth.
Snow piled high on both sides of the roads but a beautiful day.
Target was to beat my age, but no point stopping at 61. So 62.5 it was.

Last edited:
KMy favourite ride of 2018 is the road from Dowlais to Brecon and back via Pontsticill and Talybont. Out goes on the road you can just see on the other side of the valley and return via the spot where the pic was taken on the old railway track alongside the reservoir. Around 45 miles and a nice mix of flat and hilly.

The reason it is my favourite is it was the road I used to ride from the age of 11 with friends when I had my first 'proper' bike (4 speed Sturmey Archer drop bar Raleigh Trent Sports ^_^). Now I've got a lightweight 27 gear bike and it seems even harder! In 2012 I rode it (the route not the bike) for the first time in 47 years and I now make a point of doing it a couple of times every year.

20170725_132445.jpg

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
It's hard to narrow it down really.

I really enjoyed an all day ride through the mountains (Derryveagh Mountains) quite local to me in April, including a few miles along an abandoned railway line which is slowly being re-worked as a walking/cycling route.. Beautiful scenery and varied weather with everything from hailstones to clear blue skies and warm sunshine.
39937520180_69b10ac745_o.jpg Mount Errigal on Flickr
27565784908_97d7005af5_o.jpg Lough Agher on Flickr
27565785808_3164bc515a_o.jpg Former Letterkenny to Burtonport Railway line on Flickr

This year, I also finally managed to ride the Lough Salt route in good weather, my previous times on this route were always enveloped in mist and fog!
42311579564_204fb4bf62_o.jpg Lough Greenan on Flickr

The ride around Muckross Head and St John's point was also pretty memorable.
41188301020_8b303cb014_o.jpg Muckros Head on Flickr
41188296330_28169a5beb_o.jpg Muckros Head on Flickr

A few days spent in County Clare was probably my favourite. I went without any real plan, just started riding after breakfast and see where I ended up.
42710963720_83ceefd873_o.jpg North Clare Cycle route No. 2 on Flickr
30649768238_85949fa262_o.jpg Lahinch Beach Co. Clare on Flickr

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I've had some great rides this year, mainly solo rides, a few with @craigwend, & couple of forum rides.
My most memorable was the FNRTtC from York to Hull. A few days before the ride I collected my new bike from Enigma, I'd only had a couple of rides on before the Friday & had been tweeking the saddle position a bit, but took a gamble & rode that for the ride. Planned to ride from Home to York, do the ride & then home from Hull. The weather forecast wasn't promising & around 6pm there was a right thunder storm. So at 6:30pm I set off in the heavy rain to York. It hammered it down for a couple of hours, but was quite warm & I actually enjoyed the ride in the rain & the lightening over the wolds was pretty impressive. With the ride to York, the FNRTtC & the ride home I managed to clock up just over 150 miles, my longest ride to date.
Would love to do more of the night rides, but they often clash with my work shifts or other stuff & some are a bit of a logistical nightmare especially for getting back home :blush:
Another good ride was with Craig in May, over 100 miles out to Howden, & back along the south bank of the Humber. It was a great day for cycling, but Craig was concerned that I'd not even drunk a full bottle of fluid on the ride, so at a pub stop near home, I had 2 pints of beer (Melonhead IIRC) to his 1 :laugh:
View attachment 444859
There's a theme with rides with you ~ ironically we'd planned to go to the Buddhist : World Peace Cafe but it was shut :laugh:

Ps I did 112 miles to your 104 on the 2 pints to 1 ride :cheers:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
IMG_20180917_084637.jpg
IMG_20180915_195008.jpg
IMG_20180918_110713.jpg
Tuscany Road in September. 550km through some lovely towns and countryside.

lane

Veteran
As the OP home to Skegness was one of my highlights and with my son as his first 100 miles. Tour in Holland and Suffolk Lanes Audax other memorable rides.

Top Bottom