Best rides of 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Day 1 of Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela. 100 miles, 11,000 ft of climbing, almost 10 hours in the saddle. We started in warm sunshine but when we climbed into the hills after the 50 mile mark we were joined by heavy rain which would stay with us for the rest of the day. I have never been more physically and emotionally drained after a ride. But I realized that if I could survive this I could do anything.
Day 4 of the same tour. A mere 88 miles but 9,0000 ft of climbing and another 10 hours in the saddle. The feeling of satisfaction after reaching the top of 2nd big climb of the day was fantastic.

Alan O

Über Member
Best ride for me was the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool 100 in July, mainly because I managed it with considerably less pain than in 2017! It was one of the hottest days of the year and hydration was the top priority - I drank 8 litres during the day and only peed around 300ml (at a guess - I didn't measure it). I was a bit concerned that my GPS devices might not measure a full 100 miles, so just before the end I added a circuit of Birkenhead Park to make sure, and I ended the day on 105 miles. And I raised approx £380 for charity doing it.

Another memorable ride was in December, doing a circuit across the Mersey, to Chester then back up the Wirral. It was mostly on cycle paths and canal towpaths, though a couple of miles consisted of pushing the bike along muddy paths and across fields after I got lost. After delays, including a puncture, it was dark by the time I reached the Wirral Way - but a big highlight was an owl flying alongside and then crossing in my headlight beam. 67 miles in the end.

I've done a few similar Wirral circular rides, taking in the Dee marshes route and the Dee river side path to Chester. And quite a lot of good ones around West Lancashire.

For 2019, I want to ride a bit further afield.

Top Bottom