Best saddle for a boney bum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clydesider

I know there are a ton of what saddle threads but are there any recommendations specifically for boney bummed riders?

DEFENDER01

Über Member
They all seem to get uncomfortable after a while even the gel ones.
Guess they were not designed by a person with a boney bum. ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've a couple of cheap Selle Royals with "elastomer" shock absorbers (a Trekking and a Maya Moderate IIRC) and a Brooks Flyer and all seem pretty nice to me, even after up to 80 miles.

Check your sit bone width to make a good guess at saddle width - your bones may be in different places to mine and it's no good if they're not on the raised bits of the saddle.

Oh and try flat/no-seam underwear, if you haven't already figured that one out the painful way!

Brooks B17s. I had the same problem. I tried the generic saddle that came on my road bike (alu/carbon forks), then a Spec Avatar comp (with sit bones 'fitting'), then, finally, a second hand Brooks B17 standard - the search ended! Really comfortable, even for my longer rides of 200+km - no saddle soreness at all. I've bought a new B17 for my steel bike, not as comfortable yet - as breaking it in - but still Ok, and it will only improve... If I had a carbon bike, I'd have a B17 on that.

OP
OP
Clydesider

Clydesider

I think I may have narrow sit bones too so the Brooks B17 may be the answer, having looked at them online tho its hard to imagine they're comfortable! not sure if my local bike shop (Go-Outdoors) do test saddles, will ask though.
Thanks

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think I may have narrow sit bones too so the Brooks B17 may be the answer, having looked at them online tho its hard to imagine they're comfortable! not sure if my local bike shop (Go-Outdoors) do test saddles, will ask though.
Thanks

Firstly - ignore all the 'try this saddle' or 'this saddle is best' stuff.

Second - take heed of the advice offered up-thread. Go get your sit bones measured (Spesh/Trek stores do this) and get the saddle they suggest that fits you - they usually have some sort of satisfaction 'warranty'.

The above will sort it - anything else is just the saddle equivalent of Russian Roulette.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Second - take heed of the advice offered up-thread. Go get your sit bones measured (Spesh/Trek stores do this) and get the saddle they suggest that fits you
Rather than be limited to the Spesh/Trek or whoever ones, why not measure them yourself (the old cardboard/foil on the stairs trick) and get whatever it suggests will fit best?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Firstly - ignore all the 'try this saddle' or 'this saddle is best' stuff.

Second - take heed of the advice offered up-thread. Go get your sit bones measured (Spesh/Trek stores do this) and get the saddle they suggest that fits you - they usually have some sort of satisfaction 'warranty'.

The above will sort it - anything else is just the saddle equivalent of Russian Roulette.

I must be the exception, cause I had mine measured, try the 155 saddle sir, Ouch!! :blush: Spesh saddles don't suit my butt whatever size they are :sad:

Top Bottom