Best tires for bad road surface sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
Hi, I'm taking part in the wiggle magnificat in July, doing the 125mile ride and I've heard the road surfaces are poor.

I can't stand getting punctures so thinking of getting the attached. Any thoughts. I'm not fussed about my speed. I just have a 2 year old avanti road bike.

Thanks
Screenshot_2017-04-11-10-30-06.png

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
700x25

Do yourself a favour and get proper tyres instead of those heavy energy sappers. If you get a puncture with those you'll struggle to get then on or off, but that's just an aside. There's no need to fear punctures in a sportive, especially if you are slow. The frontlines have already sucked up all the glass by the time you get there.
Your best insurance is practice and preparedness.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Do yourself a favour and get proper tyres instead of those heavy energy sappers. If you get a puncture with those you'll struggle to get then on or off, but that's just an aside. There's no need to fear punctures in a sportive, especially if you are slow. The frontlines have already sucked up all the glass by the time you get there.
Your best insurance is practice and preparedness.

I've never actually picked up a puncture in a sportive except the L2B of road which luckily got me home. But I've read reviews of this one and numerous people getting a few which puts me off. I'm not too fussed about them being heavy as I do most of my riding on a mtb (although with semi slicks currently) but it is discouraging to hear they are so difficult to remove. I have the semi slick version on my mtb and they have been brilliant. I will look into alternatives however so thanks

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I bought some of those tredded Scwalbes for winter commuting, boy they are HEAVY and as for the tread - it makes them even more slow.
I don't advise on those tyres.

There's a good deal on some Continental Ultra Sport II Folding Road Tyres here (260 g) vs 595g each

Personally I like http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-road-wire-bead-tyre/ but they are out of stock for 25c

Thanks both of those have good reviews so will look into them more. Much appreciated.

I've never actually picked up a puncture in a sportive except the L2B of road which luckily got me home. But I've read reviews of this one and numerous people getting a few which puts me off. I'm not too fussed about them being heavy as I do most of my riding on a mtb (although with semi slicks currently) but it is discouraging to hear they are so difficult to remove. I have the semi slick version on my mtb and they have been brilliant. I will look into alternatives however so thanks
It is not the weight per se that's the problem but the the dead ride. They rob energy. Next time you find yourself in a shopping mall where they use those spaghetti carpets at the entrance of shops, quickly find a trolley and push from the tiled area over the spaghetti mat. That will mimic the effect beautifully.

View attachment 346899

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I ride Durano Plus on one bike and Marathon Plus on another. I don't have any problem with either tyre. Marathons Pluses are fine IME.

But it's true that M+ are real swines to get on and off, especially when new. That's my main gripe with them.

I wouldn't bother buying new tyres just for one event. If you are currently plagued with punctures then that would suggest that your current tyres are poor, so yes, consider replacing. But if not, just practice a bit of tube changing at home and trust to luck.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
It is not the weight per se that's the problem but the the dead ride. They rob energy. Next time you find yourself in a shopping mall where they use those spaghetti carpets at the entrance of shops, quickly find a trolley and push from the tiled area over the spaghetti mat. That will mimic the effect beautifully.

View attachment 346899

But presumably if I did all my training on them I would be okay for the ride. I do lots of riding on my mtb both on road and off road, that must be a similar sort of drag on the roads and I don't really mind it, obviously I'm not as quick as road bikes.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I ride Durano Plus on one bike and Marathon Plus on another. I don't have any problem with either tyre. Marathons Pluses are fine IME.

But it's true that M+ are real swines to get on and off, especially when new. That's my main gripe with them.

I wouldn't bother buying new tyres just for one event. If you are currently plagued with punctures then that would suggest that your current tyres are poor, so yes, consider replacing. But if not, just practice a bit of tube changing at home and trust to luck.

Thanks good to hear. Tyres definitely need replacing as they've worn well from last year's riding. I'll ride my bike for a few months prior to the event so it's worth investing in something decent for that riding. Can't stand getting punctures so I just want something heavy duty that will prevent the majority.

Reactions: mjr

tobykenobi

Über Member
I have Schwalbe Marathons on my (short distance) commuter bike and they are fine for that. Last ages and pretty puncture proof.

Wouldn't put them on my road bike as they are heavy and slow compared to the Duranos. They are also, as others have said, a bugger to get on and off.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks good to hear. Tyres definitely need replacing as they've worn well from last year's riding. I'll ride my bike for a few months prior to the event so it's worth investing in something decent for that riding. Can't stand getting punctures so I just want something heavy duty that will prevent the majority.
Marathon Plus are definitely heavy-duty but sadly, I do have to agree that the ride is rather stiff. I've only ridden Specialized Armadillo that were worse.

You will nearly always be safe enough with the ordinary Marathon (Greenguard at the moment) or the more expensive Marathon Supreme. The ordinary Marathon basically isn't armoured as far up the sides which means that it can actually flex a bit more. The Supreme is the same like that, but the current model uses Schwalbe's latest OneStar compound instead of the Endurance compound on most of the range. Edit: both still have sturdy protection on the bit that usually contacts the road.

Personally, I ride the crap-infested cycle tracks next to the A10 and A149 most days on the even-less-protected Kevlar-based Delta Cruisers which are even more comfortable and even then rarely have punctures. I do have a Marathon Greenguard on Dutchie's back wheel at the moment because I really hate removing it.

I avoid Continental Gatorskins because they do seem to offer little protection against West/North Norfolk's flints, for some reason. Vittoria Rubinos seem good but aren't the most resistant and I lose track of Vittoria's name/range changes.

If the roads are rough (which is what I thought you meant by "bad road surface" until I read the post), fit the widest tyres you can without fouling mudguards - 28mm minimum, 37mm best - and don't overinflate them (look for the Bicycle Quaterly BQTireDrop chart). It was quite fun riding along with a sportive two years ago (before they deteriorated to the point where I won't even ride along now) and we reached the rough road from Ten Mile Bank to Welney and all the narrow-tyred road bikers were dancing around gingerly while I glided along on 37s and actually started to overtake some! :smile:

(Edited to complete two paragraphs - where did the ends go?)

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Where is this Sportive, Toxteth to Moss Side in the 1980s? :laugh: I think a route would have to be strewn with glass, nails and burnt out cars to make me put Schwalbe M+ on for anything over about a 25 mile ride. They're great for toughness, but you're a better man than I if you can do a hundred on them. My Trek hybrid initially came with Bontrager Hard Case (they were fine), but I switched to Schwalbe M+ after the Bonty's wore out and I really noticed. They are heavy feeling, and dead, and as @Yellow Saddle says they do rob energy. I do keep them on that bike though as I do gravel paths on it mainly.

Sorry I'm not much help as I don't try out oodles of different tyres, but I did like the Bontrager Hardcase and they did stand up well to glass slashes. I certainly never had a puncture in 2 years.

Top Bottom