Best tires for bad road surface sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm obviously in a minority not noticing much difference with M+s Maybe it's just me being insensitive. I have ridden quite a few 100 milers on them. I am a pretty slow rider mind. Perhaps these features only come into play when you start zooming along.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm obviously in a minority not noticing much difference with M+s Maybe it's just me being insensitive. I have ridden quite a few 100 milers on them. I am a pretty slow rider mind. Perhaps these features only come into play when you start zooming along.
I suspect it may depend how springy your saddle and frame are, how wide tyres you're running and whether your tyre pressures are anywhere near the M+ limit in that size. I couldn't notice it much on a couple of bikes, whereas on another, I could really feel every bump of the road surface.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
595g each :eek: I'd rather fix any puncture I might get than try to push those around, but then I'm getting on a bit and need all the help I can get, so I'd stick with my Conti GP4000s (with latex tubes).

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thanks for all the input everyone, I'm very much undecided currently but all the suggestions are helpful!

I've done 100 miles on my mtb before with knobbly tired and that was okay so I can't imagine I would die if I used these, lighter bike and I'm pretty light too.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@sarahale get the Marathon Originals Greenguard like @mjr suggested.
pump them up at 65 (because you're light, I have mine at 75 :blush:) you'll be flying without getting punctures, plus those tyres will last you 5,000 miles easy.
I have been through lots of Schwalbe tyres (not because they wear out fast, just because ...) the M+ are the worst for making you feel like you're cycling through treacle.
@Yellow Saddle is spot on.
Make sure you ride the new tyres for a good few hundred miles before the sportive, as all Marathons are really hard to get off/on when new, it gets easier when they have been ridden a while.
Truly, I doubt you'll get a puncture on a Marathon Original, I have ridden with them on a forest MB track by mistake, on the flinty canal path, on the commute strewn with glass without deflation.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's time for my picture of the nail that entered my Durano Plus tyre yet didn't puncture the inner tube.

full.jpg

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
@sarahale get the Marathon Originals Greenguard like @mjr suggested.
pump them up at 65 (because you're light, I have mine at 75 :blush:) you'll be flying without getting punctures, plus those tyres will last you 5,000 miles easy.
I have been through lots of Schwalbe tyres (not because they wear out fast, just because ...) the M+ are the worst for making you feel like you're cycling through treacle.
@Yellow Saddle is spot on.
Make sure you ride the new tyres for a good few hundred miles before the sportive, as all Marathons are really hard to get off/on when new, it gets easier when they have been ridden a while.
Truly, I doubt you'll get a puncture on a Marathon Original, I have ridden with them on a forest MB track by mistake, on the flinty canal path, on the commute strewn with glass without deflation.

Brilliant recommendation thank-you! I'll look into them but sounds very positive from your experience of them, thanks!

HorTs

Über Member

I'm in the minority too. Like you say, maybe it's insensitivity, but I've been happy with the M+ for over 20,000 miles (2 sets) and never felt 'slow'. Never had a puncture either.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I'm in the minority too. Like you say, maybe it's insensitivity, but I've been happy with the M+ for over 20,000 miles (2 sets) and never felt 'slow'. Never had a puncture either.

So you ride on road with them? Year round? On a road bike? What's your average speed. Sorry for all the questions!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I run M Greenguards 26x1.75 on my tourer. 2 flats up the front in 2k miles. They are lively enough to enjoy the ride, easy to change and I inflate to 65 'sofa-setting'. I average 19-20kph.

I like Schwalbe. Yes even the clear dust caps on their inner tubes.

I also have 700x32 Duranos (standard) on another bike. Even easier to change. 75 inflation. Semi slick so less likely to pick up flint.

HorTs

Über Member
So you ride on road with them? Year round? On a road bike? What's your average speed. Sorry for all the questions!

All year round from my 15 mile daily commute to 200 mile audax. The bike is an 'adventure' bike, so yes, basically a road bike. I average ~17mph on rides when I'm trying, ~14mph on my commutes.

HorTs

Über Member
Having heaped the praise on the M+ and them working brilliantly for me I am of course looking to change - I'm going to try tubeless - Schwalbe S-One.

Not that it made much difference to me but I didn't know the M+ were so heavy - 700x32 - 810g each.

Top Bottom