Best tires for bad road surface sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi, I'm taking part in the wiggle magnificat in July, doing the 125mile ride and I've heard the road surfaces are poor.

I can't stand getting punctures so thinking of getting the attached. Any thoughts. I'm not fussed about my speed. I just have a 2 year old avanti road bike.

Thanks View attachment 346885
Id be mindful of the payoff.

Big, fat, slow tyres may smooth out poor surface but will make the going tougher on the rest. If it helps I ride the Flanders sportive each year and the cobbles there are most likely as bad as it gets. Every year I promise myself ill get fatter tyres as I shudder over kilometres of cobbles, then as I zip along on the smooth stuff I change my mind.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I would go for something like Vittoria Rubino Pros. Reasonable compromise between speed and puncture resistance.
Puncture magnets on tarmac, so I'm told. Good for rough roads and cobbles, pinch punctures and the like

U

User6179

Big, fat, slow tyres may smooth out poor surface but will make the going tougher on the rest

I did my first ton on the marathon tour plus size 28 and can assure you they don't smooth out poor surfaces , at about 80 psi they feel harsher than a Gp4000 size 23 at 120 psi .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Puncture magnets on tarmac, so I'm told. Good for rough roads and cobbles, pinch punctures and the like
Not noticed that. It was Vittoria Zaffiros that seemed to almost hoover up shoot and hold it until it hammered through. Rubinos seem much better.

I did my first ton on the marathon tour plus size 28 and can assure you they don't smooth out poor surfaces , at about 80 psi they feel harsher than a Gp4000 size 23 at 120 psi .
Ah yes, the Marathon Tour Plus - one of the most misnamed tyres ever IMO. Basically a knobblier Marathon Plus, just in case you wanted something even heavier duty!

28 isn't fat, either IMO. Even vintage road bikes took 32s. 37 you can start arguing it's fat (the old 26x1⅜" roadsters), 48 is a more reasonable starting point.

U

User6179

Not noticed that. It was Vittoria Zaffiros that seemed to almost hoover up shoot and hold it until it hammered through. Rubinos seem much better.

Ah yes, the Marathon Tour Plus - one of the most misnamed tyres ever IMO. Basically a knobblier Marathon Plus, just in case you wanted something even heavier duty!

28 isn't fat, either IMO. Even vintage road bikes took 32s. 37 you can start arguing it's fat (the old 26x1⅜" roadsters), 48 is a more reasonable starting point.

I believe my marathon tour plus weighed more than the wheel it was on ^_^
It says 28 but measures closer to a 32 , I once pumped them up to 100 psi to see if they would run quicker , all my fillings fell out :biggrin:

Hi, I'm taking part in the wiggle magnificat in July, doing the 125mile ride and I've heard the road surfaces are poor.

I can't stand getting punctures so thinking of getting the attached. Any thoughts. I'm not fussed about my speed. I just have a 2 year old avanti road bike.

Thanks View attachment 346885
Be the first to admit that Berkshire roads aren't the best, indeed the transition into Hants is noticeable, but they are proper roads. Get some Conti GPS 4000S II's and enjoy the ride. BTW going to do Tour of the Black Country next year on same.

chappers1983

i rode the magnificat last year on Conti GPS and it was fine - even when it rained.

I didnt find the roads any better or worse than anywhere else in the country tbf

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Mine were just the basic Rubino's but I don't think they ever p'tured. I only got rid of them as they'd been a little too long lasting and became a little skittish.
I bought a new pair of the updated ones with the magical graphene in them. Lol. Maybe imagination, but I thought they felt slightly tackier and grippier. Who knows. Probably just a marketing gimmick.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I have done the Magnificat twice, 125 mile version both using Conti GP's no punctures.

On another note, unless you like a lot of sweet / sugary things take something savoury with you to eat cos there ain't a lot at the feed stations.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom