Best to eat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

CyclingSAM said:
Whats the best diet to eat?

Before a Cycle?
After a Cycle?

simple answer: before = carbs, after = protein.

carbs: pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, etc.
protein: fish, milk, eggs, meat.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Carbs i believe i must eat them 3 hours before a cycle

Protein i believe within 20 mins after a cycle?

Do i eat anything right before a Cycle for quick energy?

longers

Legendary Member
A pint of chocolate milk is a very good recovery drink, easy to have while putting your bike away.

Beforehand? I may be corrected but the way I understand it is you need to have your energy reserves full of slow release carbohydrates. As Bonj says pasta and rice are good for this. You need time to digest these properly so I fill up the night before, and as Andrew the Tortoise says Porridge is good on the morning of a ride. Very good.

A banana can give you fairly quick energy release, maybe about twenty minutes.

What sort of cycling are you doing Sam?

Ben M

2 hours before, some complex starchy carbs like pasta. around twenty minutes before, something more sugary like a bananna.

afterwards some protein and some more complex carbs, like chicken and some rice.

TVC

What do the guys at Thanet RC say, Sam?

jimboalee

BIGSESAL said:
Egg whites! (Sorry I have a fear of egg yolks and their cholesterol inducing properties.)

Don't be frightened. The egg contains Lecithin as well.

Remember what an egg is....
Its an unborn chicken. The feotus is the small red thing on the end of the umbilical attached to the yolk. The yolk is all the matter that becomes the chick and the white is the food the chickie lives on.

An egg is a totally packaged meal. It contains all what is required to grow a living chicken. It will NOT harm you, unless its a badun, or something off Jurassic Park.

If you are concerned about your cholesterol, take a 1200 mg Lecithin capsule every day with your A-Z vitamin tab and 5-HTP tab.

jimboalee

I've just done a 110 km DIY Audax. 68 miles said the Garmin.

The Garmin also said 4434 kCals.
My calc sheet said TOTAL 2374 kCals.
My calc sheet said EAT 1290 kCals.

I ate 2 Tracker cereal bars, 3 fruited scones, 1 pint milk, 1 can full sugar Coke & 1 can Diet Coke.

Now I'm going to brew up some coffee and pan fry some chicken breast.

Will1985

Über Member
CyclingSAM said:
Road cycling and in door cycling with stands.
Stands? Don't you mean a turbo?

Certainly carbs before ride. I just go for anything non-fatty after - the window is more than 30 minutes but ideally eat within 90 mins.

There is also the concept of carb loading before big events. You basically cut out/heavily reduce carbohydrate intake about a week before the event and then pack in just carbs for the 2 days before the ride.

jimboalee

Eating what and when is a very complicated affair.

I have sorted myself out for my own physiology, but it is a big mistake to advise anyone without training with them for several months on the road, on the HRM and on the Turbo. - and on the fat% monitor.

Top Bottom