Best TV series ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We've really got into a TV series this last few weeks and it got us thinking; what's the best one ever?

What we do is get in to a long-running series but hardly ever watch it on advert-infested TV so we wait until it's all been released on DVD, then we're going to know if we're going to like it or not, buy the series en-bloc or one series at a time and then watch them, uninterrupted by adverts.

Here's our role of honour in order of preference.

1. The Sopranos. There is literally nothing better than this but...
2= Breaking bad
2= The Wire
4. Band of Brothers

These are all series we've watched in their entirety, The Sopranos actually twice right through!

It's the brilliant Breaking Bad series we're in to at the moment and we miss other programmes and football matches so we can watch more episodes (four episodes, at 45 minutes long each is our record night so far).

There are another two series that COULD challenge the the top series list; NYPD Blue has never been released in its entirety, not in a format watchable on UK DVD players anyway. If that's ever resolved, things might change. The other one is Boardwalk Empire which of course is still running so we haven't bought the set yet.

I know there are other series out there we haven't watched due to time constraints but can anyone add an entire series of programmes that could challenge our list above? I know all those listed are American but so far, I've yet to see a home-grown series that are consistently as good, interesting or contain long-running characters you actually care about as all the above definitely do.

Drago

Legendary Member
Red Dwarf.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Soprano's was head and shoulders above anything else, it's never been bettered as far as I am concerned.
Band Of Brothers was brilliant too.

West Wing was great also.

Tried to get into the Wire but couldn't manage it.

We've watched, in no particular order:

Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes,
That 70's Show
Gavin and Stacy

ones watched with adverts and later bought on DVD:
Downton,

zizou

Veteran
Over the last decade or so the best TV has IMO been better than the best movies so it is a tough choice but if i was to choose only one it would be the Wire for me

The Sopranos would be just as good if it wasn't for the overdone dream sequences and the characters of Janice, Carmela and AJ - always hated episodes centred around them, rather than the good stuff!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Over the last decade or so the best TV has IMO been better than the best movies so it is a tough choice but if i was to choose only one it would be the Wire for me

The Sopranos would be just as good if it wasn't for the overdone dream sequences and the characters of Janice, Carmela and AJ - always hated episodes centred around them, rather than the good stuff!

Carmela was a pivotal to the whole series. :ohmy:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I think our tele must receive a different set of programmes to everyone else.... never heard of The Wire or band of Brothers! Off to look...

House - the first 3 series were great then it went to the worst TV show ever.

The Avengers - the Macnee/Rigg era was brilliant then it went a bit downhill.

Simpsons -First 5 seasons then it went to the worst cartoon show ever.

Dr Who - Brilliant up to the end of Tom Baker - then dire.

compo

Veteran
It is very subjective but for me my all time favourite has to be "Ever decreasing circles" and of course "Last of the summer wine" features very highly in my list.

Top Bottom