Best TV series ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Prime Suspect
Trial and Retribution
Cracker
Wire in the Blood

To name a couple that I have watched at least 5 times.

I'm just watching Spartacus (Sky 1 series) on DVD which is pretty good even if a bit :eek: in parts.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Magic Roundabout.
End Of.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The Wire. Absolute best scene (of many), most emphatically NSFW...

The Sopranos
Band of Brothers
The Shield
Battlestar Galactica (the reboot, naturally)
Deadwood

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Not in any order really, but I enjoyed these....

The Fast Show
League of Gentlemen
Alan Partridge
Early Doors
Not the Nine O'Clock News
The Fugutive

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IZyPm7odbk

any one of a dozen Dickens series would do, but this one affords me the chance to say that five years after her death at the age of just 41, people remember Catherine Wearing each and every day
news-graphics-2008-_440349a.jpg

Attachments

• news-graphics-2008-_440349a.jpg
    news-graphics-2008-_440349a.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 20

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I went to visit an old friend in Coventry a few years back. We've been pals for over 45 years so we know each other very well. I know that when I see him we will catch up on each other's news, have a chat about old times and maybe watch a DVD of some Hollywood blockbuster. I was expecting to watch some or other action thriller with him that evening but he completely caught me out when he fired up his PVR and 'Shooting the Past' came on. He'd watched it a few weeks earlier and kept it for me. Great stuff!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
The Shield and Six Feet Under are getting strong recommendations here so I could be tempted into a Christmas purchase. Those who've seen both, which would you say was best?

As for Breaking Bad, you've really GOT to see this. Google it and see the number of awards it's won and the recommendations it's got. I don't know if it was ever shown on British TV and if it was, it couldn't have been on at a convenient time but it's just compulsive viewing.

There's no major stars in it and apparently the producer pushed hard to get two-time Emmy award winner Bryan Canston the main role. He was the dad in Malcolm in the Middle for those who are familiar with that one. He plays a mild-mannered chemistry teacher who, despite never smoking, is diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. His wife is heavily pregnant with a daughter and they have a disabled teenage son. His fears centre around the sheer expense that the treatment will cost which will wipe out his family's finances and he'll be dead anyway. As a treat, his Brother-in-Law asks him to ride along on a drug-bust he leads as a head honcho DEA. As they force their way into the crack-den, our central character, Walt, who stays in the van, sees a criminal escape through an upstairs window unseen by the cops. Their eyes meet and Walt recognises him as a former student in his Chemistry class. From this inauspicious meeting, things really get going. Walt propositions the renegade druggy waster that if he as Chemistry teacher can make a superior brand of MethAmphetamine, the young man can be its distributor and find markets for it. Sounds unpromising but believe me, it's GREAT.

They buy a cheapo mobile home and from the lovely city of Alberquerque, drive into ever more remote deserts of New Mexico to manufacture big quantities of the drug. This is purely to finance Walt's horrendously expensive cancer treatments so as to leave his family some money. To shield his family from his nefarious activities, he's having to create ever more elaborate excuses as to why he needs to leave for longer and longer periods.

The scenery is wonderful and the characters are magnificent. It's like the best TV in that it's a slow burner that exerts a grip on you that won't let go. We finished the last episode of Series 2 last night and will start Series 3 after Uno (you do call University Challenge Uno, don't you?) tonight.

stephec

Legendary Member
Allo Allo, top class! :smile:

pplpilot

Guru
In no particular order-
Dream on
Becker
Blackadder
Alan Partridge
Seinfeild

Come to think of it it seems I only ever really watch comedy...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Never seen The Shield or Breaking Bad or Deeadwood or any of the other much-lauded shows that were only ever available on satellite/cable. Never really got into The Sopranos, which is kind of odd because it's just the kind of thing I *ought* to like: top notch US drama. Six Feet Under gets a big thumbs up from me, as does the inevitable The Wire, but if I had to pick a fave it would be The West Wing.

Oh, and as a late entry from the UK, someone above mentioned Cracker - that was a cracker.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm currently giving The Wire a second viewing... it's a slow burner, nothing much happens but there's a lot going on.

Thoroughly enjoyed The Sopranos and will watch it all again in a few years time.

Just finished watching the 1st series of Breaking Bad.. it was OK, but don't think i can be bothered watching another 40 odd episodes.

Love Reggie Perrin, got the box set. Would have been nice if they';d remastered it.

I also like digging up oldies from the 70's and 80's such as Chocky, The Owl Service, Timeslip, Children of the Stones, Quatermass etc... all great apart from the Owl Service, which was pants.

I'm very sad also and am currently rewatching Buffy The Vampire Slayer for the third time... and at some point, will also rewatch the new Battlestar Gallactica for the third time too.

As for best TV show ever.... possibly The Sweeney... possibly something else I can't think of at the moment... but most probably, the mighty Prisoner Cell Block H. I have all 670 odd episodes on my hard drive and have watched about 110 of em.

also like Dexter and Homeland at the moment, but they're both a bit ropey.

and if anybody is wondering... don't bother buying the boxed set of Lost... it's pants. As is 24.

albion

Guru
The Sopranos was on way after prime time viewing so many of us missed it, myself included.

And I'm usually too busy to record and get round to watching things

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the writing on Buffy was just wonderful - better, even, than The Wire. What really set it apart was the sheer audacity of some of the shows. 'Once More With Feeling' came completely out of the blue, and, while the final ep of The Sopranos is proper surreal you can't imagine them taking on a musical.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the writing on Buffy was just wonderful - better, even, than The Wire. What really set it apart was the sheer audacity of some of the shows. 'Once More With Feeling' came completely out of the blue, and, while the final ep of The Sopranos is proper surreal you can't imagine them taking on a musical.

Inspired by the equally wonderful Hush... the episode where the entire town lost their voices whilst the superbly creepy Gentlemen stole human souls or hearts or something. Brilliant writing to get the cast saying bugger all for half the episode, yet deliver some great gags.

People cannot seem to agree on the final episode of the Sopranos. I saw it as... business as usual. But others seem to think the screen going black meant he got shot, or whacked.

Top Bottom