Best TV series ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I don't really watch TV much any more - I don't even have a TV now. Of US series, I have to agree that few things beat Buffy for a perfect combination of smart writing and popular appeal. The first few series of The X-Files were also superb; people seem to have forgotten this. Twin Peaks - great. I may be alone in thinking that The Sopranos was massively overrated. The Wire was brilliant, however. Galactica was pretty impressive. Used to like NYPD Blue. I generally prefer British dramas, however, simply because they don't go on forever and run out of ideas - they are generally driven by the needs of the story and not by external commercial imperatives: Edge of Darkness, House of Cards, Our Friends in the North - all brilliant and there are many more. I'm also a fan of both Swedish and British versions of the Wallander stories.

From when I was young, I still really have a soft spot for all those paranoid 1960s series: The Prisoner, The Fugitive, The Invaders... and really, nothing much has ever topped the quality British kids' drama made from the 1970s to the early 80s, many of which were mentioned by Monty above. I also grew up with all those Japanese versions of classic Chinese stories, The Water Margin and Monkey (of course). I also remember, however imperfectly, some great series from other places: Storm Boy from Australia, Children of Fire Mountain (New Zealand), and The Kids of Degrassi Street (Canada).

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I seem to watch less and less TV and only opt into some of the crap the kids watch, Big Bang Theory is quite good..... I guess.....Bazinger^_^

I also sit down with them and watch Pawn Stars ans Storage wars

zizou

Veteran
Carmela was a pivotal to the whole series. :ohmy:

She was a good character in small doses (and the show needed her character to show the domestic side) i just always found the the plot lines centered around her with the priest, or with Furio or in Paris (etc) to really drag on.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
She was a good character in small doses (and the show needed her character to show the domestic side) i just always found the the plot lines centered around her with the priest, or with Furio or in Paris (etc) to really drag on.
She's great in Nurse Jackie or WAS great in the first few series but that's another one, like Absolutely Fabulous, that's gone on too long.

Nearly there

Veteran
Seinfeld-well written
x files
walking dead
shameless series 1-3 it went down hill from then
the office
A lot of these series mentioned the wire etc I always thought about watching then forget there on so miss out
Never seen an episode of dowton abbey either it doesn't appeal to me

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Seinfeld-well written
x files
walking dead
shameless series 1-3 it went down hill from then
the office
A lot of these series mentioned the wire etc I always thought about watching then forget there on so miss out
Never seen an episode of dowton abbey either it doesn't appeal to me
Agree with you on Shameless and it was a springboard for a fair few stellar acting careers. I'm also with you on Downton Abbey as I've never seen an episode of that. Waking Dead has passed me by though but I could be persuaded to give that a try.

Nearly there

Veteran
Agree with you on Shameless and it was a springboard for a fair few stellar acting careers. I'm also with you on Downton Abbey as I've never seen an episode of that. Waking Dead has passed me by though but I could be persuaded to give that a try.
In the walking dead there is a lot of what would you do in this situation it really makes you think

Maz

Guru
You either love him or hate him..."lovely stuff" :laugh:
Alan.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I also remember, however imperfectly, some great series from other places: Storm Boy from Australia, Children of Fire Mountain (New Zealand), and The Kids of Degrassi Street (Canada).

I recently came across an NZ kids series from the 80's called Under The Mountain... is that Children of Fire Mountain under a different name? (if so, it's great!) I've got the Kids of Degrassi Street also on my hard drive, utterly charming, the type of TV they don't or daren't make any more (charm over drama).

After years of trying to recall its title, i finally found The Lost Islands, an Oz or NZ kids series set on a lost island commanded by the mysterious Q.

All of the above I found on the excellent theempire.bz ... torrents of tv and radio from Canada, Oz, NZ, India, South Africa etc...

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 2148639, member: 259"]Apart from Wonderwall - what a let down[edit] ...and I've just realised it was Don't Look Back In Anger - if anything, that'seven worse!:ohmy:[/quote]

You'd have thought they'd have got a local musician like...er...er...String or Jimmy Nail...on second thoughts.

Get In The Van

in no order
The Young Ones
The Fast Show
Friday/Saturday night live (with Ben Elton and not the USA version)
Spitting Image
very rarely watch TV now and when i think about it, the TV hasn't been on for the last month or so, infact i think the last time i watched was the TOB coverage.:laugh:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Another one for The Wire.

Currently working my way through several series' of Curb Your Enthusiasm which I borrowed from a friend. I've given up now though because it gets stale after a while, it was worth it for the chef with tourettes episode at the end of season 3 though.

Top Bottom