Best UK Everesting Climb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's a great climb for everesting though, as the gradient is almost perfect (not too steep and not too shallow). Also never boring as it's both scenic as you climb and when you descend. Particularly when descending from the top on a clear night (which it was) as you can see a huge vista encompassing Rochdale, Greater Manchester and beyond.

The wind was favourable too, as it was a light to moderate SW tailwind.

That is an average of about 6%. Looks like a good choice, not too steep and long enough that you can get some advantage for overall average speed. I’m looking at a hill in Hertfordshire will a similar average gradient but it’s not as long. I’d love a 4km uphill to do it on. But my local hill is quiet and does have somewhere to park base camp nearby. So it works. I’m going to do a few laps on it soon to get a feel. Did your son wear a HR monitor / how hard was he working on each uphill lap?

Ordnance survey spot heights confirm ascent in my case. But I’m aiming for completion no stupidly fast times!

Solocle

Über Member
1592507700521.png

The masochist in me is tempted to try the local grueller. It's a pretty famous one too.

Just over 400 ascents required.:bicycle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This one I did today would make a nice one. Once was enough for me. Can’t imagine doing it around 33 times!
https://www.strava.com/segments/19518138?filter=overall

I'm so glad strava didn't exist* when I started cycling :blush:

I mean totes each to their own.

And I love a self testing hill climbing challenge - living and cycling in Devon makes it a prerequisite..

But 33 x that :wacko: ?? It would take more than the lure of chocolate cake :angel:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
This one I did today would make a nice one. Once was enough for me. Can’t imagine doing it around 33 times!
https://www.strava.com/segments/19518138?filter=overall
No3 is bonkers fast for a fridge freezer.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you fancy local then I can recommend Edgehill or Sunrising Hill, depending on the wind. I think Edgehill was the first Everesting in the Uk back in 2014. Edgehill length – 0.5 miles average gradient 11% Height gain: 295 ft / 90 m

Ajax Bay

Guru
living and cycling in Devon makes it a prerequisite
Climb from above Moorshop (above Tavistock on the Princetown road, caravan site entrance) to the Whitchurch Common car park is a good option for you. 135m in 1.6km. Get a decent (howling) westerly, and 66 times up (and 65 times down) and Robert's avuncular.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
OK boss.

Maybe, I'll make time on Sunday. :okay:

Although I'm in East Devon, so a few warm up hills to get there first :smile:

That is an average of about 6%. Looks like a good choice, not too steep and long enough that you can get some advantage for overall average speed. I’m looking at a hill in Hertfordshire will a similar average gradient but it’s not as long. I’d love a 4km uphill to do it on. But my local hill is quiet and does have somewhere to park base camp nearby. So it works. I’m going to do a few laps on it soon to get a feel. Did your son wear a HR monitor / how hard was he working on each uphill lap?

Ordnance survey spot heights confirm ascent in my case. But I’m aiming for completion no stupidly fast times!
My son didn't use a heart rate monitor. It was just a Garmin that he also linked to Strava. I can't recall his average speed for the climbs. He wasn't particularly interested in achieving a 'fast' overall time and just had the goal of completing the everesting feat.
Good luck with your quest @YukonBoy for a suitable hill.

Top Bottom