Best UK Everesting Climb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a local everesting challenge currently taking place on Haldon hill near Exeter.
https://www.facebook.com/1man1bike1mind/
Raising money for MIND the mental health charity.
Tragic circumstances behind his attempt (the suicide of his mother). Good luck to him!

I don't do helmet arguments (I nearly always wear one myself) but if you are going to wear one then adjust the straps a lot tighter than he has in some of those videos/pictures... That must be the worst of both worlds - a helmet that probably wouldn't stay where it is supposed to in a crash!

newts

Veteran
Aiming for an average speed of 7mph. Sensible pacing.
He's planned very well & trained hard
Tragic circumstances behind his attempt (the suicide of his mother). Good luck to him!
Indeed a very sad experience for the family & friends to deal with.
I hope the weather is kind throughout, a small detour in the morning will allow us to cheer him on.

ColinJ

Is there a 24h limit? I reckon I'd be pushing that!

(actually I've been estimating 17hours-ish. No, I won't show my working.)
No.

Everesting rules said:
Single Activity
– It does not matter how long the ride takes, but it must be ridden in one attempt (i.e. no sleeping in between). Breaks for meals etc. are fine. You can break for as long or as little as you like. Bear in mind break times add up quickly, and can add significantly to your elapsed time.

– An exception to the no-sleep requirement is if you are completing multiple Everestings in one activity. In this instance the first Everesting must still be completed with no sleep, however an allowance for up to 2 hours for each ‘subsequent’ Everesting exists. This 2 hour allowance is a total, so it can be taken as 1x 2hr sleep, 2x 1hr sleeps, 4x 30min sleeps etc. We will respect your integrity, and trust you on the use of this time. Please don’t break that trust! This allowance is to reduce the impact of sleep deprivation and ensure that you get back down off the mountain safely. As with single Everesting attempts please ensure that you have support on hand to assist in making an independent judgement call on your fatigue levels.

– It’s important to note that you undertake an Everesting entirely at your own risk and Everesting, Hells 500, this website and its contents accept no liability for your actions, impact on others, safety, or your mental state!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hilarious profile.
Laughable.
I think her quotes after her 8:53 are worth pasting here:
"if I were to do another one... I'd do it a bit differently,
"Some of my not-genius planning included: 13.5% average with insufficient gearing; Totally exposed climb on a hot sunny day; Twisty technical descent with blind corners, gravel, and grass cuttings; Picking the day when every farmer on Haggenegg chose to mow their meadows and collect the hay: 6 tractors & hay carts were also doing reps of the climb all day; Running out of food and water on every climb from 5 onwards (I just didn't plan for enough);
"But it was a happy day despite a few discomforts. I wanted a challenge, and to find my limits... and I did. Or maybe my limits found me."

Clearly a fair bit more time to shave off.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No, there isn't.

A guy did it on Toy's Hill (near Sevenoaks) 59 ascents!
"James had to ride up Toys Hill 59 times and actually rode 9,027m in 25hrs 43mins 33secs. His total recorded distance was 388.5km. "
https://road.cc/content/news/137349-james-wyatt-rides-toys-hill-59-times-join-everesting-hall-fame
(Actually he did it from the North which is properly Chart Lane not Toy's Hill. The real Toys Hill, from the South has such an insanely bad road surface it would be a very poor choice)
Edit. Here it is on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/223035004
View attachment 535188

It's not something that I could do.

Yes road.cc didn’t do any review of what they wrote. If he’d done 59 reps of a 1.4km hill at 9% he would not have cycled 384km!

ColinJ

Yes road.cc didn’t do any review of what they wrote. If he’d done 59 reps of a 1.4km hill at 9% he would not have cycled 384km!
True, but since he did a hill that is over 3 km from the A25 up to the top (I just measured it on the OS map and compared it to the Strava 'heat map'), then he would have done! :okay:

PS Oops, I see what you mean! Yes, from the south it wouldn't be...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
True, but since he did a hill that is over 3 km from the A25 up to the top (I just measured it on the OS map and compared it to the Strava 'heat map'), then he would have done! :okay:

PS Oops, I see what you mean! Yes, from the south it wouldn't be...

Exactly road.cc used the wrong hill and could not even see that their maths was way out.

No, there isn't.

A guy did it on Toy's Hill (near Sevenoaks) 59 ascents!
"James had to ride up Toys Hill 59 times and actually rode 9,027m in 25hrs 43mins 33secs. His total recorded distance was 388.5km. "
https://road.cc/content/news/137349-james-wyatt-rides-toys-hill-59-times-join-everesting-hall-fame
(Actually he did it from the North which is properly Chart Lane not Toy's Hill. The real Toys Hill, from the South has such an insanely bad road surface it would be a very poor choice)
Edit. Here it is on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/223035004
View attachment 535188

It's not something that I could do.
Jesus. Thanks for that (and thanks @ColinJ ).

I would really really want to finish in under 24hrs if I'm not allowed any sleep! (and I speak from experience of many 600km+ audaxes).

I take my hat off to James Wyatt for dedication :notworthy:

Milzy

Guru
Holme moss. Steep enough not to take all day but maybe too steep for some. Compact and 32 should be fine.

Top Bottom