Best Upgrades for a road bike...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funkingbaxter

I have a 2007 Giant SCR C3 - the first proper road bike I have owned. I would like to upgrade it a little, but have a limited budget (I bought the bike 2nd-hand for under £500).

I changed the tyres for 23mm Conti GP4000 which was a definite improvement. I have also tried another pair of wheels; a mate's Bontrager Race - which look nicer than Giant's IOU555 with their 20/24-spoke design, but I'm not sure they make the bike any quicker.

The original spec can be found here:-
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/156/15233/?collections_id=2

My question is, what should I do to improve the performance? Spend out on some pukka wheels, upgrade the groupset, or something else...? Thanks

Put some more miles in. Work on the engine, not the chassis.

OP
OP
F

funkingbaxter

Fair point, but I have already improved my cycling fitness considerably. I'm looking for some additional improvement...

Jonathan M

Wheels, tyres, tubes are always the starting point.

After these I'd suggest making sure that your contact points on the bike suit you - handlebars/bar tape, seat, shoes/pedals - as if you are comfortable on the bike, you won't dread the longer rides as much.

Fitness as above, of course.

OP
OP
F

funkingbaxter

Thanks all. Looks like I'll keep working on the fitness, and leave the upgrades until the current stuff wears out...

GrasB

Veteran
Contact points as outlined above & brakes, as you get faster the potential need to slow down in a real hurry gets bigger.

Farky

Reduce weight in the easiest form...off you preferably and if you can't do that, off the bike!

I've put a carbon stem, seat post and saddle on mine as well as bottle cages and skewers. Looks better and means I can now carry two Galaxy bars...

I also went from a 12-25 to a 11-21 rear cassette and love it!

p.s. There's a lot of weight to be saved on wheels!!

Top Bottom