Best Used Hybrid Bicycle for around £300-£400?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

Hi Everyone, Thinking about getting back in to biking... but.. I'm not even sure what I need to look for, or exactly the bike I need.
But I realised that it's probably a hybrid bicycle that I'm after ( where it have the flat handlebars like a regular bicycle, but still has the speed of a road bike, but.. has maybe a bit wider tyres so you can take it off the tarmac as well and that it's more stable as well, but not super wide as for mountain bike as I still want low rolling resistance).

I would rather probably buy a higher-end used bicycle than a brand new cheaper one as I would want to keep it for at least the next 10years + I want a reliable thing as well not something that is made out of butter as I don't want to buy cheap and buy twice.

I don't really care about the styling too much nor that it isn't the latest brand new model, as long as it's not bright pink with flowers it will be good for me.
However speed/reliability/ease of use/ comfort/good reliable gear change is a huge priority for me!

Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd look for an old steel Ridgeback Hybrid (If I didn't already own one)

vickster

Legendary Member
Look for a Whyte r7 hybrid. I "won" a portobello for £235. £700 new

Sora gearing, hydraulic disks, only thing it's missing is my preferred carbon fork. Not complaining though.
£400 would likely get you the higher specced Cambridge

OP
OP
I

itaa

Look for a Whyte r7 hybrid. I "won" a portobello for £235. £700 new

Sora gearing, hydraulic disks, only thing it's missing is my preferred carbon fork. Not complaining though.
£400 would likely get you the higher specced Cambridge

the portobello seems more readily available on ebay than the Cambridge, what are the main differences between the 2? is it any better in reality?
I kinda really like the look of the frame for that one as well!

Also can anyone tell me how good/bad are the boardman hybrid bikes? there seem to be just massive choice on 2nd hand market and they are still around £600 when new. However I'm total starter in biking world so got no idea about the brand quality.

My current bicycle btw is some at least 30-40years old soviet union one :biggrin: So anything really will be a great upgrade..

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

itaa

Some more names I found which are readily available around my budget:

boardman hybrid pro
Specialized Sirrus
Cannondale Bad Boy

Any feedback on them?

vickster

Legendary Member
I had two Sirrus, found them really boring, one was stolen, it's replacement was sold within 6 months. Others really like them. You'll pay a bit of a premium for Specialized

Bad Boy, only comes in black, so I'd never have one. They also look really chunky and slower than they probably are!

Boardman bikes, just not keen on the styling, they always look a bit clunky and cheap to me! Ymmv
Lots of them, probably being sold on having been C2W bikes. I think they mostly have mechanical disc brakes, not all have carbon fork

Ref the Cambridge, carbon fork, SRAM groupset, lighter than the portobello as a result

OP
OP
I

itaa

ok after spending few hours researching about these type of bikes, seems like I have 2 choices:

- Boardman Hybrid team around £200-£220 for a Mint Used one , ( this is the model above Comp, not sure what's the difference but the Team retails for quite a bit more so probably is better? , The PRO version - it probably is the best but.. its around £400 for an used one which is almost 2x more, can it be 2x better? Doubt so..)

Whyte portabello - around £230 for a mint used one ( there isn't really any of the Cambridge models available in used markets which seems to be a better bike?)

After my research people have said that the whyte portabello is a bit more lively but.. it's really harsh compared to boardman, and the boardman seems to be able to run on thicker tyres (more space for them) if I ever have the need in future?

So which one from the 2 is the better bike overall and would last me longer and give the most bang for my buck?

vickster

Legendary Member
Go on the actual bike not the model of buying used :smile:

I don't know that you'll get a portobello for £230. I got really lucky. Guy wanted £300

OP
OP
I

itaa

Go on the actual bike not the model of buying used :smile:

I don't know that you'll get a portobello for £230. I got really lucky. Guy wanted £300
checked the sold auctions and there are plenty in that price range. just the going rate for them seems like.

vickster

Legendary Member
One thing, if you go for a Whyte, make sure the seller has the wheel lock tool. The other portobello sold for £200 recently didn't according to the guy selling for his mate. Nor was there a receipt/proof of purchase, so I don't know how you'd get the tool, making the wheels hard if not impossible to remove in case of need

vickster

Legendary Member
Not from me, my new to me portobello seems a very good buy at £235, now with SPDs, women's saddle and ergon grips with bar ends

Top Bottom