Best war film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
What is the best war film you have seen? My favourites have to be "The Pianist", "Saving Private Ryan", hmmm can't make up my mind from here but probably Platoon or Hamburger hill. I watched a Clint Eastwood film today "The flags of our fathers" which was interesting and gave a slightly different perspective on WWII but was not a great film by any stretch.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

All Quiet On The Western Front .
Sergeant York.
Ice Cold In Alex.
Went the Day Well.
CLASSICS!!

col

Legendary Member
Platoon
Saving private ryan
Full metal jacket
Hamburger hill

Thats all i can think off at the mo,but these ones stick in my mind.As for best,its a toss up between ryan and platoon for me too.

Oh and "we were soldiers" was good too.

gbb

Legendary Member
Saving Private Ryan was very very good indeed...

Not many have seen the Russian film 'I can see'

Extremely real, portrayed the extremes of German brutality against the population of eastern europe. Been trying to get it on DVD for ages.

Bigtallfatbloke

The first 30 minutes of SPR were actually very acccurate from the point of view of how the land lay. I have Pics I took on that section of the beach where it is blatently obvious that speilberg must have stood there and based the scene on that spot.

Remeber the scene whereTom hanks takes the chewing gum out of the guys mouth and uses it to stick a mirror on his bayonett? This pic was taken on Omaha beach far western end where the film is set.

...a still from the film

"Don't shoot...let 'm burn!"
This is the real bunker/toad they were attacking in the film as it looks today

mikeitup

Veteran
gbb said:
Saving Private Ryan was very very good indeed...

Not many have seen the Russian film 'I can see'

Extremely real, portrayed the extremes of German brutality against the population of eastern europe. Been trying to get it on DVD for ages.

Good movie. Not pleasant to watch. "Come and See" wasn't it?

Been a while since I saw it

mondobongo

Über Member
We Were Soldiers and Saving Private Ryan.

Not so much fighting in it as others mentioned but The Great Escape has to be on the list.

tomb1960

There was a superb WWI film a few years ago called Trench, lowish budget British film which I really enjoyed (if that is the right word). Another vote for Saving Pte Ryan, Downfall is good too.

Top Bottom