Best way of recording your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluezelos

What do people use to plan and record their ride etc.. Starting using Strava as an app on my phone with a cateye strata wireless for speed, distance etc, then got the Garmin Edge Explore 820, which I have had much publicised problems with posted on here. I have noticed if I just go out on a ride with the garmin on, it syncs the info with Strava but not my personal achievements, PB's etc..

I have downloaded courses and put them on garmin, but that has been hit and miss. Basically I want something I can rely on to follow maps and record the relevant info of the ride.

Should I stick with third party device garmin, or rely on a good app to use on my phone? Obviously I need something attached to handlebars for easy use, I understand phone holders are available, is this a viable option. I also understand one system uses GPS and the other 3g/4g for connection, I presume the latter is more reliable?

Any info appreciated thanks.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I'd like to make some time-lapse videos, but without the expense of a GoPro

nickAKA

Über Member
What do people use to plan and record their ride etc.. Starting using Strava as an app on my phone with a cateye strata wireless for speed, distance etc, then got the Garmin Edge Explore 820, which I have had much publicised problems with posted on here. I have noticed if I just go out on a ride with the garmin on, it syncs the info with Strava but not my personal achievements, PB's etc..

I have downloaded courses and put them on garmin, but that has been hit and miss. Basically I want something I can rely on to follow maps and record the relevant info of the ride.

Should I stick with third party device garmin, or rely on a good app to use on my phone? Obviously I need something attached to handlebars for easy use, I understand phone holders are available, is this a viable option. I also understand one system uses GPS and the other 3g/4g for connection, I presume the latter is more reliable?

Any info appreciated thanks.

Try using your phone, but personal / anecdotal experience is that if you think your Garmin is unreliable, try using the Strava app for a while. As far as I'm aware it uses the phone's GPS (badly).

When you talk about PRs, are you talking about within Strava or in the Garmin Connect app? If what you're analysing is within Strava, Strava takes care of that. All the Garmin does is record your ride and upload the raw data to Strava.

Regarding maps, every head unit in the price range of the Wahoo Bolt / Garmin 820 I've used has been pants. I have used Google maps when required but that is also hit & miss, but it will at least adjust the route on the fly.

Personal opinion is a decent head unit is the way to go. My Bolt has been flawless in getting decent data on Strava, but I wouldn't use it for directing me around (and God knows I've tried)

KneesUp

Guru
Take a notebook and some coloured pencils. Every so often, stop and draw what's in front of you. Flick the pages to get that time lapse view of your drawings.
I used to sit on the back seat of the family Maxi as a kid, with a pencil and a piece of paper. I'd hold the pencil loosely so it moved with the car, and from this I'd claim to have drawn a map of our route. Honestly, I basically invented Strava.

vickster

Legendary Member
Strava on iphone and Wahoo. I delete one after the ride (phone has me further but slower so depends on which I want)

OP
OP
bluezelos

bluezelos

When you talk about PRs, are you talking about within Strava or in the Garmin Connect app? If what you're analysing is within Strava, Strava takes care of that. All the Garmin does is record your ride and upload the raw data to Strava.

NickAKA yes this is what I thought. When used my Strava only on my phone it used to record my PR's, but since I have just used Garmin which then uploads data to Strava, it no longer displays these.

nickAKA

Über Member
NickAKA yes this is what I thought. When used my Strava only on my phone it used to record my PR's, but since I have just used Garmin which then uploads data to Strava, it no longer displays these.
As in displaying segment data in-ride?
I've never tried the using the phone app for this purpose tbh; to get that fuctionality on your head unit you use 'live segments' https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/207343830-Live-Segments

I understood it was a paid option (ie subscription) in Strava but I dunno...

OP
OP
bluezelos

bluezelos

As in displaying segment data in-ride?
I've never tried the using the phone app for this purpose tbh; to get that fuctionality on your head unit you use 'live segments' https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/207343830-Live-Segments

I understood it was a paid option (ie subscription) in Strava but I dunno...

Sorry I may have confused things a little bit. I meant 'achievements' in Strava don't show when synced from the Garmin. They only show when using Strava only.

nickAKA

Über Member
Sorry I may have confused things a little bit. I meant 'achievements' in Strava don't show when synced from the Garmin. They only show when using Strava only.

That's very odd - mine do when synced from my Garmin watch and from my Bolt. Might be one for the Strava support that...

For a missing segment achievement, first try the Refresh My Achievements tool, located under the wrench icon on the activity page when accessed on the Strava website. If your fastest time isn't showing correctly on the segment leaderboard, review the possibilities outlined here.
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us...-my-segment-effort-appear-on-the-leaderboard-

Coincidentally, a mate was moaning about achievments not showing on a run he'd done recently but that was using the phone app, so maybe there's been a glitch in their software?

Top Bottom