Best way of smoothing out road bumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a friend with a degenerative spine who is keen to keep cycling. We've just modified her Specialized Vita with swept back handlebars, but she also wants to reduce jarring on her spine, so what are the best ways to do this? She was thinking a gel saddle, but will that do much good? Other options I have thought of
  1. Fatter tyres (need to check clearance)
  2. Suspension seat post - they seem quite expensive
  3. Sprung saddle, any reasonably priced ones?
  4. <fill in your own suggestion>
So, with contradictory criteria of price, weight and effectiveness, I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Recumbent?
(Never ridden one, but I think I've seen mention on here of folks with back problems using them).

fixedfixer

Veteran
long wheel base recumbent would be good - something like the Tour Easy. Alternatively a fat bike as the 4 inch wide tyres at 12psi soak up every bump - but you'll pay the price with a very sluggish ride.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I think the best thing she can do (fitness permitting!) is to learn to ride the bumps, by shifting most of her weight onto the pedals and off the saddle just before hitting an uneven bumpy bit. If she flexes the knees slightly, and keeps the arms and wrists "soft", she'll hardly feel it at all.

I say all this, and then I bet you'll say she's 90 or something. :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure. Forgot about the tyre option while I was with her.
I've got some new 28s she can try

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I think the best thing she can do (fitness permitting!) is to learn to ride the bumps, by shifting most of her weight onto the pedals and off the saddle just before hitting an uneven bumpy bit. If she flexes the knees slightly, and keeps the arms and wrists "soft", she'll hardly feel it at all.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Bum off the saddle when approaching bumps.

though I did omit to mention the necessity to keep one's feet on the pedals while doing so. :smile:

FYI, here is the current configuration
img_20170203_134005-1-jpg.336012.jpg

Top Bottom