Best way to avoid death?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

Uncle Phil said:
Who said it was unsafe?

Sorry, I inferred that. My bad.

My first clipless experience was on my fixed and perhaps because of that I don't find the experience of clipping in and out very different to doing it with a freewheel. Stopping and starting isn't all that different either except that with the fixed I have to lean on the front brake to rotate the cranks to a starting position once I've stopped.

Again though, this is just my personal experience and opinion.

Matthew

OP
OP
R

Rhys_Po

Uncle Phil said:
If you go for a flip-flop hub, you can ride single-speed to work when you're mixing it with the traffic, and flip it to fixed for your weekend runs on the open road.

I use a fixie on my ride to work, but I only have to stop once on the whole trip (and there are no kerbs). If I were riding into town I'd usually choose something with a freewheel; the original poster may choose to do the same.

The main reason I've decided to go singlespeed/fixed is that I want a bit of a workout (on my Hybrid, I'm doing the 14miles each way hardly breaking sweat) and also want something that's a bit more fun.

The singlespeed commute / fixed weekend flipflop is definitely something I'm considering. The one thing that confuses me about the flipflop concept is that most puncture resistant tyres (Armadillos / Gatorskins etc ) have unidirectional treads, don't they? This presumably means that as well as flipping the wheel, you also have to refit the tyre?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Rhys_Po said:
The main reason I've decided to go singlespeed/fixed is that I want a bit of a workout (on my Hybrid, I'm doing the 14miles each way hardly breaking sweat)

Then pedal harder man!

Most people find that fitting a computer helps. It records the time it takes to cover the journey and your average speed. Many users find that they become obsessed with reducing the first and increaseing the second.

Alternatively, a couple of house bricks in each pannier.

Both probably cheaper than a fixie, but not, I'll admit, as much fun. Or as trendy.

D4VOW

Keep it fixed and in a very short time you will be wondering why you thought it was difficult.

With regards to flipping the wheel and changing the direction of the tyre, it amazes me how many people can't figure out how to flip a wheel while keeping the direction of the tyre the same. If you flip the wheel over instead of turning it around you will change cogs and keep the tyre running in the same direction.

Bigtwin

Had a fixed and SS for London commuting. Used the SS most of the time as the fixed had no reckonable advantage for the job, and a lot of disadvantages. Life was just a lot easier on the SS.

Although no one here was (Joe24 will be along in a min though - watch this space) many fixed riders will blather on about "soft option" and "diluting the brand" etc etc about SS. Balls - ride whichever you get on better with. My personal view is that for start-stop heavy traffic SS is the no-brainer option.

OP
OP
R

Rhys_Po

User1314 said:
I practised in Richmond Park a few times before I took my Fixie out in London, so that I didn't embarass myself and built up a bit of leg muscle oomph by going up the long slopes and steep hill there.

I know the very hill ... it's on my daily commute!

User1314 said:
I'm also aged (cough, ahem) and played rugby until a couple of years back, when my ribs couldn't take the hits anymore

Probably a fair chance I've played with or against you then (London Welsh Occies).

Thanx for all the advice folks - must say this forum makes a welcome change from some of the others I've tried to get fixie advice ... apparently you're a wimp unless you've built your own bike from a penny farthing and bits of the original Gutenberg press and would rather use the back of a bus for stopping assistance than spoil the line of your bike by adding things like brakes.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You probably went onto LFGSS, they are mainly just cnuts.
Fixed is great, i love it. Its all i ride, and im faster on it. Ive done 200rpm on a 65" gear, and i think ive done 200rpm or close on the 72" gear i have. Ive also gone into Derbyshire on the 72" fixed and done some pretty steep hills, and been around wales on it.
Fixed in traffic is fine, you just have to be confident with fixed. Ive rode in very heavy traffic on my fixed and its fine. Use your front brake and leg brake, or have a rear brake if you need and you will be fine. You need to learn to relax your legs and sort of coast along, just having the pedals pushing your legs around.
Dont do what alot of the fixed gear people in london do and put on a big gear, you dont need it.
Dont be ashamed to have 2 brakes if you need.
Dont worry if you make a few mistakes, like stopping peddling or something.
To get into the straps, put one foot in and tighten that one up, then, make sure the other one is lose, push off andtry and put your foot in. Then, when your foot goes in, you need to grab the bit of strap hanging off and tighten the strap on your foot.
Sounds complicated, but its not bad when you get used to it.
Clipless on fixed is much better though IMO.

MajorMantra

Joe24 said:
To get into the straps, put one foot in and tighten that one up, then, make sure the other one is lose, push off andtry and put your foot in. Then, when your foot goes in, you need to grab the bit of strap hanging off and tighten the strap on your foot.
Sounds complicated, but its not bad when you get used to it.
Clipless on fixed is much better though IMO.

When I was riding my fixed with toeclips and straps I never actually tightened them down and it worked fine. Obviously I couldn't pull up as effectively as I can now with my clipless pedals but they worked fine. If you're riding in traffic and have to stop suddely it's much nicer to have slightly loose straps so you can pull your foot out in a hurry.

Matthew

kyuss

Veteran
D4VOW said:
With regards to flipping the wheel and changing the direction of the tyre, it amazes me how many people can't figure out how to flip a wheel while keeping the direction of the tyre the same. If you flip the wheel over instead of turning it around you will change cogs and keep the tyre running in the same direction.

Perhaps you could explain to those of us without the ability to defy the laws of physics, exactly how you do that then.

colinr

Perhaps you could explain to those of us without the ability to defy the laws of physics, exactly how you do that then.
Using my expertly crafted post-it note wheel I reckon this is possible.

If you hold the wheel with the valve at 6 o'clock, and your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions you can rotate it around the X axis (the imaginary one running between your hands) so that the valve ends up at 12 o'clock. Tread will be facing the same direction but the hub will be the other way around.

Actually, my paper is lying. This doesn't work.

OP
OP
R

Rhys_Po

Errr .......

Actually - got it! ... piece of piss.

Flip the wheel, then use a marker pen to draw new treads going the other way.

Top Bottom