Best way to charge a Garmin whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunja99

You can opt to get email/texts/Facebook/WhatsApp on your Garmin screen, and see the caller for voice calls. Means you don't have to stop and get the phone out when it pings, or you should stop when you're leading a ride and someone behind has a mechanical.
Can that on my watch TBH. I'm more than happy with the tracking on my watch it's navigation I want the Computer for. Watch BTW is 945xt so does mapping, etc, and fine on the bars for stats (cadence, speed, etc, etc), and connect to the Aeropex for calls/phone. Hmmm decisions to make. Still will wait and see about this hack and whether they do some "sorry" deals once sorted!

Can afford a 1030plus, but can't really justify another 500+ afetr in a 12 month period!

OP
OP
Rhysito

Rhysito

Having spent a lot of time charging from a dynohub one thing I'd suggest is to pay attention to the wear and tear on the unit port and cable. Bumpy surfaces can cause damage.
As an aside question do all the garmin edge computers accept charge whilst being used? I've heard some don't. Looking at possible getting a 530 or explorer (when the go on sale next week after their hack this week (fingers crossed)), but would want one with an option to charge on the go?

I have an Edge 820 and it charges whilst I use it

gunja99

Thanks guys does help with my choices.

With regards power banks and chargers pay the price. Don't skimp on electrical things it could cost you your house and possibly life. Only buy well known brands for charging cables and power banks/chargers etc and Anker are a good one and have a lot of their stuff too

Having spent a lot of time charging from a dynohub one thing I'd suggest is to pay attention to the wear and tear on the unit port and cable. Bumpy surfaces can cause damage.
Seconded. In fact I think b&m in the manual for their ewerk convertor caution about this. USBs aren't industrial products, they were engineered to be sat on a desk or next to the telly.

+1 to all the positive comments about anker.
For a framebag to put the anker in i can recommend the topeak fuel tank.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Fue...MIwKmqwenn6gIVRLLVCh2VWwf9EAQYAiABEgLGrfD_BwE

Two sizes available.

It has a shielded hole for a cable to go through - not all bags do.

I have no need to run my garmin directly from the dynamo - it uses AAs. If need be I can charge two AAs from a charged powerbank.

Top Bottom