Best way to charge a Garmin whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhysito

Anyone have any advise on how to charge a Garmin whilst cycling. I am thinking of strapping a battery to the toptube rather than getting a dynamo wheel.
Thoughts?

Anyone have any advise on how to charge a Garmin whilst cycling. I am thinking of strapping a battery to the toptube rather than getting a dynamo wheel.
Thoughts?
I asked Garmin (several years ago so maybe out of date) and they specifically advised against charging from a dynohub - except for one very expensive adapter.

Having spent a lot of time charging from a dynohub one thing I'd suggest is to pay attention to the wear and tear on the unit port and cable. Bumpy surfaces can cause damage.

Debade

Über Member
Not answering your question directly but I use sleep mode. I am not positive that is the word Garmin uses. I keep the wake up timer to 4 seconds. It lasts that way for a long time. I have Varia but nothing else using the battery.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
When i did the Dynamo rides I had a small compact 6700mAh power bank probably ever so slightly bigger than a pack of chewing gum stashed away in a top tube bag along with some munchies.

Mine is a Rav Power 6700

Where as an Anker E1 will probably serve the same purpose albeit with a higher pricetag and lower capacity :wacko::wacko:

Both have served me absolutely fine and both have excellent customer support which i have dealt with on many occasions.

I own quite a few of the larger Anker power banks as well as other stuff like bluetooth speakers and headphones and they are all pretty good for the money.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Have not tried it personally, but, would a one of these rechargeable "power pack" type devices, used to re-charge mobile phones, do the trick?

Not recommending this particular one, but, something like this: Power Pack

Edit, just noticed @RoubaixCube has suggested similar above, would agree with the comments reference Anker, excellent products, in my experience.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
I've used an Anker lipstick battery attached under the bars with a Zefal Doo-Dah. Short, cranked USB lead and the Garmin tilted slightly up to avoid rain getting into the connection at the Garmin end. Turn the slave battery on at the start of the ride, when it runs out the device one will take over.

gunja99

As an aside question do all the garmin edge computers accept charge whilst being used? I've heard some don't. Looking at possible getting a 530 or explorer (when the go on sale next week after their hack this week (fingers crossed)), but would want one with an option to charge on the go?

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
As an aside question do all the garmin edge computers accept charge whilst being used? I've heard some don't. Looking at possible getting a 530 or explorer (when the go on sale next week after their hack this week (fingers crossed)), but would want one with an option to charge on the go?
If you want to charge from a dynohub it's best to go via a battery or one of the devices like an Igaroo. Garmin advise against direct dynamo to device connection. If you're just using a slave battery, start with that battery on, then if and when it drains the Garmin internal takes over automatically.

gunja99

If you want to charge from a dynohub it's best to go via a battery or one of the devices like an Igaroo. Garmin advise against direct dynamo to device connection. If you're just using a slave battery, start with that battery on, then if and when it drains the Garmin internal takes over automatically.
Didn't plan on a dynamo, just a battery pack (Anker or similar mentioned above). Just saw something recently said some models couldn't do this in use

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Edge Explore has a much shorter battery life than 530/830. (claimed 12 hrs vs 20 hrs.). 530/830 is generally better all round, 1030 better still & bigger screen. The 530/830 have smart messaging, though I've found it sometimes unreliable. The 830 is better at finding places & routes without connecting to a phone, e.g. emergency diversions. Buy the best you can afford, there's often not much price difference.

gunja99

Edge Explore has a much shorter battery life than 530/830. (claimed 12 hrs vs 20 hrs.). 530/830 is generally better all round, 1030 better still & bigger screen. The 530/830 have smart messaging, though I've found it sometimes unreliable. The 830 is better at finding places & routes without connecting to a phone, e.g. emergency diversions. Buy the best you can afford, there's often not much price difference.
Whats smart messaging btw? Have seen that mentioned in a few places?

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Whats smart messaging btw? Have seen that mentioned in a few places?
You can opt to get email/texts/Facebook/WhatsApp on your Garmin screen, and see the caller for voice calls. Means you don't have to stop and get the phone out when it pings, or you should stop when you're leading a ride and someone behind has a mechanical.

Top Bottom