Best way to deal with bad driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nicasiri

Ah...well it's true. I think it's kind of along the lines of what you and some others keep repeating about moving out of the way and such and that you shouldn't have to. They didn't think they should have to get on the bikeway instead of the road... I'm not saying it's all of you, but again, there definitely seem to be some real issues there.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Ah...well it's true. I think it's kind of along the lines of what you and some others keep repeating about moving out of the way and such and that you shouldn't have to. They didn't think they should have to get on the bikeway instead of the road... I'm not saying it's all of you, but again, there definitely seem to be some real issues there.

So you are guessing. You don't know whether the bike lane takes them to where they want to go, maybe their destination lies off that route.

Reactions: mjr

davidphilips

Veteran

nicasiri, If you are not a cyclist then could i ask you to get a bike and start using it. Then you may have a better idea of cycling and understanding of what is on cyclechat, Another question and i dont think you will answer this one either, Are you just having fun on here or are your comments real?

LOL, Theres no war between cyclists and car drivers as most cyclists are car drivers so what side would they be on or is it in your opinion an all out war between anyone and everyone on the road.

nicasiri

So you are guessing. You don't know whether the bike lane takes them to where they want to go, maybe their destination lies off that route.

I wasn't guessing. I don't know if eventually they would need to go another route, but it was all going one way at the time. Which is why the cop suggested they get on the bikeway.

Is this really that surprising to you?

nicasiri

nicasiri, If you are not a cyclist then could i ask you to get a bike and start using it. Then you may have a better idea of cycling and understanding of what is on cyclechat, Another question and i dont think you will answer this one either, Are you just having fun on here or are your comments real?

LOL, Theres no war between cyclists and car drivers as most cyclists are car drivers so what side would they be on or is it in your opinion an all out war between anyone and everyone on the road.

Hmm... either you've got A LOT of people putting out bad press for London's cycling and driving issues, or you're really narcissistic thinking there's no war going on, simply because most cyclists also drive. There's what - 25% of you on the road. Who do you think the others are? Non-cyclists.

I do cycle, regularly. Thanks for asking. I also drive.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, it's not expecting them to keep out of the way. It's moving into single file to let a car pass, because yes cars do travel faster than bicycles. When you're driving slower than the car behind you, you also move out of the way to let the car pass.[…]

The group's attitude overall though seems to be cyclists shouldn't be punished for bad cycling or making mistakes, only drivers should.
Punishment's fine as long as it's proportionate to the danger. So where a motorist gets a £60 fine for buzzing a cyclist, a cyclist should get a 50p fine for the reverse.

Two things maybe you didn't realise about London: firstly, most traffic lane widths are narrow enough that it makes no difference whether cyclists are single file or double: motorists must change lane to overtake safely.

Secondly, cars don't go faster than cycles. Average car speed in inner London is around 12mph. Drivers are in each other's way. The cyclists are irrelevant, like how grains of rice can fit among peas without changing the maximum number of peas in a jar.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sure, ok...

Congratulations, you win the internet.

Hmm... either you've got A LOT of people putting out bad press for London's cycling and driving issues, or you're really narcissistic thinking there's no war going on, simply because most cyclists also drive. There's what - 25% of you on the road. Who do you think the others are? Non-cyclists.

I will tell you again as you sure didn't listen to the first few times.
There is no war between cyclist and car drivers in London, or any where in the UK for that matter.

How do I know? It's quite simple. I do a 32 mile round commute through London streets and traffic every day and I have been commuting in London since the early 80's. I like to think that experience of that amount count's for something. You on the other hand carry on ignoring people who are telling you there is no such thing as a war as it's far more convenient for you to believe your own agenda.

You are from the USA, I wont go there any more as everyone carry's guns and we will all get shot as soon as we walk out of the airport. It's true, I've seen the You Tube videos of the police killing everyone. It's a war out there.

Hey, did you see what I did there?

nicasiri

What's interesting to me as well is how all of you think I'm making this up. Maybe you're just all in denial, or you really don't think there's bad cyclist behavior in your city that's affecting you. That's fine. But let's put this in perspective... Many drivers don't identify you differently from another cyclist, who may have just given them the finger after cutting them off. I'm surprised this is all so shocking to you all. In other words, it doesn't matter if half of you in London who are serious cyclists, you're being grouped with the other half that are obnoxious ones (in a driver's mind).

nicasiri

This thread has gone astray. The tit-for-tat arguments about whether there is a war on the roads must stop. Anyone who cannot bring themselves to do this will be excluded from the discussion.
Congratulations, you win the internet.

I will tell you again as you sure didn't listen to the first few times.
There is no war between cyclist and car drivers in London, or any where in the UK for that matter.

Half of what I mentioned here were things I saw on videos from cyclists who wear cameras in London. Those are made up too I guess? Maybe they are. But they seem to be cyclists like you, advocating for better safety. Also, safety is an issue in all cities and countries. But the amount of hatred that seems to be in London is more from what I saw than other cities. I'm sorry if it rubs you the wrong way, but it's what I observed.

Your comparison to the USA is ridiculous, considering it was that fathead guy from your country who helped Trump get elected here. Maybe this is just revenge for that. ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Half of what I mentioned here were things I saw on videos from cyclists who wear cameras in London. Those are made up too I guess? Maybe they are. But they seem to be cyclists like you, advocating for better safety. Also, safety is an issue in all cities and countries. But the amount of hatred that seems to be in London is more from what I saw than other cities. I'm sorry if it rubs you the wrong way, but it's what I observed.

Your comparison to the USA is ridiculous, considering it was that fathead guy from your country who helped Trump get elected here. Maybe this is just revenge for that. ;)

I'll leave this info graphic with you. Yes, cyclists are taking over and car drivers are having to get used to it. Once again, I can tell you from personal experience that this is indeed that case.

trends.png

And I have no idea who that fatheaded guy is. But I've seen loads of people getting in shot in the USA on You Tube, there's hundreds of videos, so I would advise you all to put your guns down and get along. It seems like there is a war going on.

davidphilips

Veteran

Well great you cycle and hope you dont get into to many battles, best advice i can offer is what was wrote on the back of the old blue driving licences ,
Care Courtesy and Consideration saves lives, Safe cycling and Hope some one else can provide better advice than i can.

nicasiri

Punishment's fine as long as it's proportionate to the danger. So where a motorist gets a £60 fine for buzzing a cyclist, a cyclist should get a 50p fine for the reverse.

Two things maybe you didn't realise about London: firstly, most traffic lane widths are narrow enough that it makes no difference whether cyclists are single file or double: motorists must change lane to overtake safely.

Secondly, cars don't go faster than cycles. Average car speed in inner London is around 12mph. Drivers are in each other's way. The cyclists are irrelevant, like how grains of rice can fit among peas without changing the maximum number of peas in a jar.

Actually I did. Your narrow streets are a definite issue, which is why I think, as I do everywhere, infrastructure is the #1 concern. I did notice there were a lot of issues for motorists as well at times, where they had to pass you safely, while also cut back in when a car was speeding towards them down the other lane. Narrow streets are definitely an issue here as well. Again, better infrastructure is the way to change this. We can all agree on that. It's a concern everywhere.

I do think cyclists should be educated on better cycling and need to be defensive on the road as well. For their own safety. As to punishment fits the crime, ok.

I would argue to say that cyclists are irrelevant to a car, when you guys have a lot of cyclists on the road in London, is a bizarre point to make. Especially when you're upset about not being relevant enough.

nicasiri

Well great you cycle and hope you dont get into to many battles, best advice i can offer is what was wrote on the back of the old blue driving licences ,
Care Courtesy and Consideration saves lives, Safe cycling and Hope some one else can provide better advice than i can.

Thanks very much for your advice, David. I don't get into many battles. I'm not sure if you read all my posts here, but I wasn't promoting battling. I think we can all agree on your statement that Care Courtesy and Consideration saves lives, as does Safe cycling...

nicasiri

I'll leave this info graphic with you. Yes, cyclists are taking over and car drivers are having to get used to it. Once again, I can tell you from personal experience that this is indeed that case.

View attachment 363556

And I have no idea who that fatheaded guy is. But I've seen loads of people getting in shot in the USA on You Tube, there's hundreds of videos, so I would advise you all to put your guns down and get along. It seems like there is a war going on.

Loads of people do get shot in the USA. But I'd say terrorism is worse in other countries.

I know that's not your point, so let me just say this - I have been agreeing with you all along that you have a lot of cyclists on the road there. That may be part of the problem, however, not all your cyclists are good cyclists in terms of practicing safety themselves. Just sayin'...

Nigel Farage, that's the fathead I was referring to who helped get Trump elected here.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I did notice there were a lot of issues for motorists as well at times, where they had to pass you safely, while also cut back in when a car was speeding towards them down the other lane.
Perhaps the rules are different in the US or Disneyland or Central Park or your own febrile imagination (I don't know, wherever it is that you actually do any cycling) but in the UK there is not actually any requirement that a motorist has to pass a cyclist simply because the cyclist is ahead. It's completely optional: no compulsion whatsoever. You do get the occasional car driver that is apparently unaware of this, but they are quite simply wrong.

And as others have pointed out, car traffic average speeds in London are somewhere around 10mph, so 90% of the time it's not even as though there's any real advantage to overtaking a cyclist - all it means is that you waste fuel (what you guys call "gas"), wear out your brake pads (I think you call them "brake pads") and join the queue (not sure what the American for "queue" is, it may be "line" , or "Q" or for all I know you might call them "fruit jellies") at the next traffic light a bit sooner

Hope this helps shed some light on the US-UK differences

Top Bottom