Best way to plot a long cycle route? London to Southend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Nope, I'm in SW London

You could do a nice 50 mile loop down into the Surrey hills or Kent instead, still going to be windy, or as you say see your friends.
It'll be breezy still tomorrow but not as windy as later is forecast

Good luck for London-Paris, are you riding supported or training with the luggage you'll be carrying which is important

Thanks! The London-Paris is supported but I've been riding with a rucksack and locks anyway so hopefully I'll find it a touch easier when the time comes.

Surrey Hills is a good option. I've got the week after the bank hols off work so I could work that in then. I need to do 2 days in a row - maybe 3 - so I thought that would be a good week to do a few consecutive 60-70 mile rides.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I don't know the actual route as I've not done that particular ride. I know that the BHF usually use quieter roads though.
Check this pagehttp://www.bike-events.co.uk/Ride.aspx?id=551 it should show the 52 mile route.
Hope this helps

To give you an general overview, have a look at https://www.cyclestreets.net/ beware though, it's not perfect and can also take you on unsuitable bridleways and muddy paths so needs a careful review
There may also be one already on http://www.cycle-route.com/
But to plot your final route, as @Supersuperleeds said use ridewithgps or similar

+1

There is not a perfect answer, but the concept is to use these as a starting point, and then to alter to suit your own preferences

Lee_M

Guru
the a127 has a cycle lane along some of it, but it's not great. personally I would never ride on it (the road that is), in fact I'll make a plea - please don't cycle on it, there are plenty of other options.

depending where you're coming from you can ride out to woodford and hainault and go round the back of havering atte bower and miss the lot. I did it from Wanstead a couple of weeks agi, it's not a short route but far better than the a127

I'll second (third?) the Reverse-BHF suggestion, avoiding the A127. It's grey, noisy, utilitarian, the infrastructure is a bit crap and it will reinforce a false impression of South East Essex. (I cycle it daily!) The BHF route, which can simply be reversed, is a much much nicer ride.

Ian193

Über Member
image.png
Here's the route of the BHF London to Southend ride

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
PoisonIvy i'm going to Shoeburyness next weekend, either sunday or b/h monday leaving early tho 7am..ish from the Oval via Barking Ockendon fenn lane Vange up Bread n Cheese Hadleigh S/E Shoeburyness.

Not busy roads, a couple of roundabouts, 1 hill 31/2 hours easy pace 15mph 50 miles (slow on the ups fast on the downs).

Also check xcweather for wind direction and speed.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
PoisonIvy i'm going to Shoeburyness next weekend, either sunday or b/h monday leaving early tho 7am..ish from the Oval via Barking Ockendon fenn lane Vange up Bread n Cheese Hadleigh S/E Shoeburyness.

Not busy roads, a couple of roundabouts, 1 hill 31/2 hours easy pace 15mph 50 miles (slow on the ups fast on the downs).

Is this a private function ? Or can other people join ?

OP
OP
PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

I may very well be up for that. However, I'm kind of (very) slow on the uphills though, being newish to this and packing a bit of middle age spread...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

TC,
I'll be at the Oval for 7
What day?

Top Bottom