Bestest lightest convenient lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
Brake cables a piece of piss with normal pliers. Did it years before got proper cutters
Not with any of my pliers. A cold chisel and a hammer, yes, but I can take any bike off anyone with a hammer.

It's a light lock, while he's in the takeaway. It's a compromise. if a brake cable's not enough, plait 3 together. Or use a motorbike brake cable. Or a car clutch cable. His choice.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got a cheap (£7?) cable lock. I think it might be a Masterlock one but it's so old that any lettering must have rubbed off long ago. With the plastic sheathing, the cable is about 9mm diameter. It won't take a second to cut with any old sharp cutters, but it will stop somebody hopping on my bike and riding off. That's all that I need if I nip into a corner shop. It lives curled round my seat post and top tube and is about a metre long.

I'd use one of the neon locks

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onguard-U-Lock-Unisex-Anti-Theft-Orange/dp/B07L9K2Y6R

A D lock - lighter than many if not as secure obvs.
Uses a fair amount of plastic.
I use mine for locking outside supermarkets etc or on tour.
Wouldn't use for long-term parking in many cities.
I have a heavy duty Abus for that.
I would never use one of those light wire things - they are for lightweight day racers sat beside their bike at a cafe table to stop a quick grab and run - nothing else.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I use an Otto Lock when I’m just nipping in somewhere and I can still see the bike. It rolls up really small and weights 140g or so - for a tiny cafe lock it’s really decent, but not cheap. £45 or so on Amazon.
https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd be worried about thieves with bolt cutters or portable angle grinders, not expert lock-pickers!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I never leave a bike locked and unattended in a public place for more than a minute or two, and the places I leave them are generally not busy places. So I think I'd have to be extraordinarily unlucky for a properly equipped thief to happen along at just that time, and to act quickly and decisively to attack my Abus Bordo (or whatever thing it's locked to)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah but in the intro to picking of the hardened steel one he says the previous titanium one can be cut, hence why they made the hardened steel version
I reckon that an angle grinder with a decent cutting blade could cut through that pretty quickly?

I'm still looking for an angle grinder attack video, but this one shows bolt cutter and hacksaw attacks...

Pretty impressive!

(In case you don't bother watching the whole video - he didn't want to damage a new lock so he got the manufacturer to send him a strip of metal to test.)

I never leave a bike locked and unattended in a public place for more than a minute or two, and the places I leave them are generally not busy places. So I think I'd have to be extraordinarily unlucky for a properly equipped thief to happen along at just that time, and to act quickly and decisively to attack my Abus Bordo (or whatever thing it's locked to)
The lock picking lawyer has picked one (I doubt scrotes do) the nut splitter on a link pin worked but lasted well, I've not seen the cutting of a link yet (but probably by a cordless wizzer)

Top Bottom