Bestest lightest convenient lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
An angle grinder will cut anything. But as I said earlier, I can get any bike off anybody with a hammer. Nobody's doing that? No, and nobody hangs around the shops with a grinder either. There are plenty of bikes left unlocked, if that's what you want.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can get any bike off anybody with a hammer. Nobody's doing that?
Oh yes THEY ARE!

One of my niece's schoolfriends got hit with a length of timber when she was riding her bike. The assailant calmly got on the bike and rode off on it.

No, and nobody hangs around the shops with a grinder either.
Oh yes THEY DO!

:sad:

I never leave a bike locked and unattended in a public place for more than a minute or two,
Isn't that a bit limiting?
I take it that you don't use your bike for getting round London/shopping.

Never had a bike nicked yet.
Lock it well, park near better prospects if possible (I ride old hybrids I've built up myself round town).
I've always had the idea that, linked to above line, it's actually better to lock up in busy places, not quiet - gives the thieves more temptation - to set to work on something else :sad:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Hiplok, very convenient. Although if you keep going to the chippy you may the bigger one.

Or buy some medium priced locks, and leave them locked outside the places you most often go, just take a key ring of keys and bingo, there is always a lock waiting for you.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hiplok, very convenient. Although if you keep going to the chippy you may the bigger one.

Or buy some medium priced locks, and leave them locked outside the places you most often go, just take a key ring of keys and bingo, there is always a lock waiting for you.
Our local council has a purge from time to time and removes locks that have been left attached to bike stands.

Not a good idea - can be tampered with - it's also littering.
also a fag - imagine how many keys you'd have to sort through on parking up - mm - chip shop, bookies, hardware shop, bikeshop, brothel ...

battered

Guru
Oh yes THEY ARE!

One of my niece's schoolfriends got hit with a length of timber when she was riding her bike. The assailant calmly got on the bike and rode off on it.

Oh yes THEY DO!

:sad:
Well, if you will live in Lancashire.
Joking aside, the point I'm making is that there is a minimal risk of being knocked unconscious for a bike, and people have been shot for their car keys, and a very small risk of someone cutting a lock with a cordless grinder, it doesn't matter what you do if it's your unlucky day. You're only ever reducing the odds. That's why I initially suggested an ultra light lock from a brake cable for minimal security situations where the bike is in view, or more or less, and only there for a few minutes. It's enough to deter a casual thief, but that's all. If this isn't good enough for your personal risk (hey, maybe you live in Lancashire) then get something better, like 2 D locks and a length of chain, and hope that nobody is coming with a grinder while you are buying your chips. Better still, leave it at home and get a £50 bike for the shopping.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Isn't that a bit limiting?
I take it that you don't use your bike for getting round London/shopping.
No, utility cycling and me have never got on together for one reason or another. Because of where I live and where I go no real need arises. If it should do in future then I'll put together a crappy disposable bike for the purpose.

I do use my Brompton sometimes but that doesn't get locked up outside, it comes inside with me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For times where I am within earshot, I use a 1m x 12mm plastic-coated alarmed cable lock. Weighs less than 200g. Cost about £10 I think. Satisfies my insurance but I wouldn't usually leave a bike parked long without a D lock.

I think 12mm is enough to be annoying to common/small/pocketable cable cutters and the alarm means I will probably be out there before a thief has figured out my controls enough to ride the bike (one more advantage of brake levers that lock on) if they can even get their leg over a 23" frame and push the 72" gear that I habitually leave the bike parked in. :evil: Oh and if they wheel the bike backwards out of the parking stand without changing gear first, there's reportedly a small chance that the clutch plate will disintegrate and render the bike unrideable anyway!

kenmiles

Safeman® cable lock, bicycle lock, ski lock, lock - multifunctional lock with key.
Used them for years with no problems. Although no lock will stop the determined thief.

Attachments

• 81tNBooJObL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg
    81tNBooJObL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 12

Tenkaykev

Guru
Saw a “ Skunklock” or similar named lock online. The inside contains a pressurised noxious smelling liquid which sprays out if someone cuts into it. Not sure about the legality in the UK.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Saw a “ Skunklock” or similar named lock online. The inside contains a pressurised noxious smelling liquid which sprays out if someone cuts into it. Not sure about the legality in the UK.
If I'm remembering the correct product, it is classed as a firearm in the UK, much like pepper spray. It's possible that someone may make one using a legal dye-pack like those "UK legal" anti-attacker sprays which both blur an attacker's vision for a bit and cover them in hard-to-wash-off blood-red dye, but I've not yet seen it.

Top Bottom