Bestest lightest convenient lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive got a longish cable key lock for low risk cafe stops. It was pretty cheap and can be defeated by any toe rag armed with a very long screwdriver* but any lock will prevent oppertunist grab and ride off theft.

* I saw two men doing exactly this in broad daylight at Norwich station. Dont interfere, call the police.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ive got a longish cable key lock for low risk cafe stops. It was pretty cheap and can be defeated by any toe rag armed with a very long screwdriver* but any lock will prevent oppertunist grab and ride off theft.

* I saw two men doing exactly this in broad daylight at Norwich station. Dont interfere, call the police.
I imagine the response would be very different depending on how you described events in that call... :whistle:
  1. "I'd like to report 2 men who are stealing a bike..."
  2. "COME QUICK! 2 men are threatening to stab members of the public with a huge screwdriver..."

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/500-u-bike-lock/_/R-p-119937?mc=8342034&c=GREY

I have one of these. It is very light but would be effective against cable cutters. I use it when popping into the takeaway or similar. I think it's better than a cable lock. It fits around a sheffield stand and the rear stays.
Decathlon only rate it 4/10 and it's twice the weight of a comparable-level cable (edit: which it appears Decathlon now only sell as add-ons to other locks) so I think it fails the "lightest" bit of the opening request.

It's a D-lock-shaped object: fine as a takeaway/cafe lock but please no-one be fooled that any half-awake thief will think it's a proper D-lock. Even if you scuff up the branding, it has a couple of tell-tales like the lock being on one end of the bar.

freiston

Veteran
My "cafe" lock is a Kryptonite Keeper 695 Fold - it's a 95 cm six link chain. The links are "dog-bone" and are basically rods with an eye at each end. The lock is covered in a black fabric with "Kryptonite" written on it in white letters. It's not a brilliant lock but it is light, fairly compact, big enough to lock your bike to a Sheffield stand or a post and at a glance it looks a lot heftier than it really is. If I'm going into town or the supermarket, I use a proper hefty chain and a U lock.

sasquath

I imagine the response would be very different depending on how you described events in that call... :whistle:
  1. "I'd like to report 2 men who are stealing a bike..."
  2. "COME QUICK! 2 men are threatening to stab members of the public with a huge screwdriver..."
3 I've kicked bike thief in the face and he's not moving now...
1. will be ignored
2. they will wait for at least 2 people stabbed
3. they will be there in under a minute to nick you ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom