Beta-alanine supplements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I just found this interesting tweet from a well-respected running coach/nutritionist here in the US, and the data comes from what looks like a solid source.

Matt Fitzgerald ‏@mattfitwriter 55m55 minutes ago
Beta-alanine supplementation increases high-intensity cycling performance in middle-age women: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26255281

This gives more info http://www.betaalanine.info

As the very target audience - a slow-cycling middle-aged woman, I'm intrigued by this. I don't eat meat although I do eat fish, so I might up my fish intake and think about taking a supplement. Any thoughts?

montage

God Almighty
I just found this interesting tweet from a well-respected running coach/nutritionist here in the US, and the data comes from what looks like a solid source.

Matt Fitzgerald ‏@mattfitwriter 55m55 minutes ago
Beta-alanine supplementation increases high-intensity cycling performance in middle-age women: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26255281

This gives more info http://www.betaalanine.info

As the very target audience - a slow-cycling middle-aged woman, I'm intrigued by this. I don't eat meat although I do eat fish, so I might up my fish intake and think about taking a supplement. Any thoughts?
if you like itchy skin beta alanine is perfect for you

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Eat food instead.

Got a guy at work that has all sorts of 'powders'.

Today's one was some powder in hot water with a knob of butter... asked him if it was a recovery dring of sorts.. no a testosterone booster from plant extract.. WTF.

He nearly died when I said I get the real stuff from injection.. then explained my complications.

Stick with normal food, and only boost if you have been prove to be low - Vit D is a key deficiency in most folk. (sun cream, stay out of sun).

Most of this supplement stuff isn't necessary.

The guy I work with, is 10 plus years younger and I could out cycle him easily. He does some weights, he isn't big, same size as me. Takes all this rubbish.

God knows what he thinks of me. Eat, eat, eat, eat ,eat eat... oh and did I say I am the same size..... he eats bugger all. I have two kids, much more stress in my job, ride to work, DIY/family at home. He hasn't this stuff, but he still takes all these chemicals.

Ride a bike.....

Or run

God designed us for this, not sitting in a gym. Run/ride !!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Actually, Cathryn might not... We remember her moving over, but it's the same with all modern life styles, we don't get enough sun.

I have colleagues that are Indian and Jamacan in origin, lived here all their lives but suffer Vid D defficiency just like we do, but we might not consider it.

Vit D is essential. I cycle alot and am outside, mine was OK. Anyone not outside loads is at risk.

GP's won't test you. You can get a private test for about £35 in the UK and it's from a University. It at least tells you where you should be.

Dmcd33

I tried it a couple of times and it made my nose tingle to an almost unbearable degree!

Not sure about the benefits to cycling. I tend to use beetroot powder/shots to get some nitrates in my muscles before a big ride

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I tried it a couple of times and it made my nose tingle to an almost unbearable degree!

Seriously? Or are you teasing?? I can't tell.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So pale skin in the UK is ok - assuming you get outside, as is darker skins in sunnier climes. But put darker skin in our climate, or pale skin the harsher sun, and there are problems.
I read that many people in the UK are short of Vit D in the winter because there just isn't enough sunlight then. I don't know how long the summer stocks last?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I don't take supplements, but in bodybuilding this is seen as the most effective performance enhancing supplement since creatine, specially as a pre work out supplement but it has been known to cause very bad pins and needles, worse if taken on an empty stomach..
saying that it is highly recommended for vegetarians and hard gainers..

Interesting...thanks!

Top Bottom