Beta Blockers, Propranolol.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
It depends why you are on them........ to be absolutelly awkward :tongue:
true, i was on them then got sorted and come off, was surprised to read some people think you have to stay on them once you start, surely as you say it depends on why your on them in the first place

Albert

Über Member
Research has shown (we have had several lectures from different visiting consultants in out annual patient's heart conferences) that if you have had a heart attack many of the pills which are initially prescribed - beta blockers/statins etc - continue to have an ongoing protective function after the event, even though they are no longer required for their initial function due to the increased health of the patient. So, if there are no serious side effects, we are advised to continue with these medications in perpetuity.
I could stop all my pills tomorrow if I wanted to with no immediate ill effects - needless to say I haven't. The outcomes in this area are simply outstanding relative to other UK areas.

sazzaa

Have been put on Propranolol for chest tightness, feeling a bit short of breath and slightly high blood pressure. Scared to get on the bike in case i get totally out of breath... Any advice? Am i being irrational?

vickster

Legendary Member
When did you start taking them? What did your Dr say about cycling? Perhaps go slowly and with someone else if concerned. Or speak to the Dr

I have taken them for situational anxiety - have panic attacks on aeroplanes if it's bumpy :blush: Albeit a very low dose, as I naturally have BP on the low side

sazzaa

When did you start taking them? What did your Dr say about cycling? Perhaps go slowly and with someone else if concerned. Or speak to the Dr

I have taken them for situational anxiety - have panic attacks on aeroplanes if it's bumpy :blush: Albeit a very low dose, as I naturally have BP on the low side
Didn't even think to mention cycling, stupidly... Been on them since Thurs and have to go back in a week or two. So far i'm not noticing any difference to symptoms..

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd maybe wait until you see the Dr again

Most pills taken chronically take a bit longer to have an effect

sazzaa

Well, cycled in today, seemed slightly more of a struggle than usual and felt a bit more out of breath, but since I'm going on a snow holiday in a couple of weeks I need to have some level of fitness. Glad I didn't die!

Top Bottom