Beta testers for new forum software

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by Shaun, 7 May 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

Thanks for the offers so far, keep 'em coming ... ;)

2. HaloJ

HaloJ Rabid cycle nut

Count me in! :laugh:

Abs

3. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I'm up for a play! :laugh:

4. OP
    OP
    Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

I've removed the initial test install and put the latest beta software on the server.

I'm currently in the process of importing a snapshot of CC data from around 3-4 weeks ago, but it's a very long-winded process and will likely still be going late into this evening.

Once the import is complete I'll go through the admin control panel and reset permissions so we can open it up for testing. (I'll PM you all with the details once it's ready).

This will mean that you should have all your PM's and posts in place, so the content, names, and forums should be familiar if nothing else ... :ohmy:

The forums are installed with the default skin (look and feel). This will be changing as I have comissioned a custom skin which you will be able to see a preview of once you're logged in to the new forums.

I'll also set-up a separate forum where we can discuss the new software and identify / iron-out any differences and put together how-to's for everyone else.

Hopefully this groundwork will help smooth the transition and identify key features / areas where people will need hand-holding.

If anyone else wants to join the fray, just add your name to the list here.

Cheers,
    Shaun :wacko:

5. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

Would it not make sense if the new beta forum doesn't look entirely like this one ... otherwise we may get confused which one we are in? I assume that anything we post in the other forum is just in jest and that if we want a serious answer we need to continue posting on the main forum?

6. Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke Jaffa Cake monster

Count me in, Shaun (but only if you promise to join us on Burnout later). :smile::biggrin:

7. OP
    OP
    Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

Yes, the new forum software has the stock colouring so is easily identifiable as the new one. :blush:

It's also a closed test so anything posted there is just for the purpose of trying things out and chatting with other testers about your experiences and the differences.

From that I can determine whether we can change the new software to suite the current look / method, or whether I will need to develop a basic set of guides to help people when we switch.

The key being to ease people through the change rather than just thrust it on them.

Cheers,
    Shaun :biggrin:

PS. I do plan to have an public preview where everyone can have a play with it before we do the actual move, but to start with I just want a smaller group so we can get the basic differences worked out.

8. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I spend most of my time on Ubuntu, with occasional forays to the dark side window 7, and I am ready to help...

9. OP
    OP
    Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

Thanks for the offer, I'll count you in.

I won't be able to make it for Burnout tonight though, sorry, I've got to spend a bit of time twiddle knobs and settings in the control room.

Cheers,
    Shaun :tongue:

10. OP
    OP
    Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

Volunteer testers so far (I'm looking for around 40 or so in total):

1. gaz
    2. Steve H
    3. summerdays
    4. redddraggon
    5. Coco
    6. Panter
    7. Yorkshireman
    8. satans budgie
    9. Catrike UK
    10. rsvdaz
    11. HaloJ
    12. magnatom
    13. Sh4rkyBloke
    14. HJ
    15. scots_lass
    16. garrilla
    17. potsy
    18. Speicher
    19. Danny
    20. mcshroom
    21. NigC
    22. Rykard
    23. porkypete
    24. martint235
    25. Ben Lovejoy
    26. XmisterIS
    27. abchandler
    28. Iainj837
    29. alci4
    30. rusky
    31. Sam Kennedy
    32. g00se
    33. Fletch456
    34. rh100
    35. RyanW
    36. colinr
    37. Martok
    38. mangaman

11. scots_lass

scots_lass Senior Member

Happy to help. Count me in.

12. garrilla

garrilla Senior Member

I'm up for it Shaun. I'm a bit of an idiot idiosyncratic in my use and maybe this will offer some useful insight.

I've done lots of beta testing also, so I know how to work through and test faults/differences/etc.

Cheers.

13. OP
    OP
    Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

Thanks. You're on the list. :smile:

14. I'll give it a go Shaun.

15. OP
    OP
    Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

You're in ... :blush:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice