Rabid cycle nut
Count me in! :laugh:

Abs

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I've removed the initial test install and put the latest beta software on the server.

I'm currently in the process of importing a snapshot of CC data from around 3-4 weeks ago, but it's a very long-winded process and will likely still be going late into this evening.

Once the import is complete I'll go through the admin control panel and reset permissions so we can open it up for testing. (I'll PM you all with the details once it's ready).

This will mean that you should have all your PM's and posts in place, so the content, names, and forums should be familiar if nothing else ... :ohmy:

The forums are installed with the default skin (look and feel). This will be changing as I have comissioned a custom skin which you will be able to see a preview of once you're logged in to the new forums.

I'll also set-up a separate forum where we can discuss the new software and identify / iron-out any differences and put together how-to's for everyone else.

Hopefully this groundwork will help smooth the transition and identify key features / areas where people will need hand-holding.

If anyone else wants to join the fray, just add your name to the list here.

Cheers,
Shaun :wacko:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Would it not make sense if the new beta forum doesn't look entirely like this one ... otherwise we may get confused which one we are in? I assume that anything we post in the other forum is just in jest and that if we want a serious answer we need to continue posting on the main forum?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
summerdays said:
Would it not make sense if the new beta forum doesn't look entirely like this one ... otherwise we may get confused which one we are in? I assume that anything we post in the other forum is just in jest and that if we want a serious answer we need to continue posting on the main forum?

Yes, the new forum software has the stock colouring so is easily identifiable as the new one. :blush:

It's also a closed test so anything posted there is just for the purpose of trying things out and chatting with other testers about your experiences and the differences.

From that I can determine whether we can change the new software to suite the current look / method, or whether I will need to develop a basic set of guides to help people when we switch.

The key being to ease people through the change rather than just thrust it on them.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

PS. I do plan to have an public preview where everyone can have a play with it before we do the actual move, but to start with I just want a smaller group so we can get the basic differences worked out.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I spend most of my time on Ubuntu, with occasional forays to the dark side window 7, and I am ready to help...

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Count me in, Shaun (but only if you promise to join us on Burnout later). :smile::biggrin:

Thanks for the offer, I'll count you in.

I won't be able to make it for Burnout tonight though, sorry, I've got to spend a bit of time twiddle knobs and settings in the control room.

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Volunteer testers so far (I'm looking for around 40 or so in total):

1. gaz
2. Steve H
3. summerdays
4. redddraggon
5. Coco
6. Panter
7. Yorkshireman
8. satans budgie
9. Catrike UK
10. rsvdaz
11. HaloJ
12. magnatom
13. Sh4rkyBloke
14. HJ
15. scots_lass
16. garrilla
17. potsy
18. Speicher
19. Danny
20. mcshroom
21. NigC
22. Rykard
23. porkypete
24. martint235
25. Ben Lovejoy
26. XmisterIS
27. abchandler
28. Iainj837
29. alci4
30. rusky
31. Sam Kennedy
32. g00se
33. Fletch456
34. rh100
35. RyanW
36. colinr
37. Martok
38. mangaman

garrilla

I'm up for it Shaun. I'm a bit of an idiot idiosyncratic in my use and maybe this will offer some useful insight.

I've done lots of beta testing also, so I know how to work through and test faults/differences/etc.

Cheers.

Top Bottom