Better than a close pass?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This happened to me tonight, rather than close pass the vehicle decided to pass the wrong side of the pedestrian refuge and ignore the keep left sign. Nobber.

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Drago

Legendary Member
Dangerous driving. The first successful prosecution for that due to dashcam evidence was successfully brought recently in my fair county, and the chump got a ban for his trouble.

I mean, there are so many dash cams, cycle cams, general CCTV coverage, and Traffic Droid, about these days it makes you wonder why these chumps bother.

D

Deleted member 1258

A few years ago when I was commuting I saw someone almost cause a three car crash doing that. He was coming up to overtake me and suddenly realised I was traveling faster than he thought and he couldn't get past me before the pinch point and couldn't stop without hitting the keep left island.

tom73

Guru
I once had one pass me at such a high speed he was within seconds of taking out the whole thing inc the car coming the other way.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I’ve had a few lorries do similar on my 3am commute.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think that most people who have been on night rides have seen a fair bit of that in the early hours. The drivers are very unlikely to be nicked, so they do it.
It's happened to me twice in my village, in broad daylight! No cars coming the other way either time, the bobbers just didn't want to wait.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d rather a car do that safely than close pass

I’ve been known to do it too on the bike when filtering and there’s no space between the ped islands and the queuing cars. Obvs not when there’s traffic coming the other way!

Drago

Legendary Member
I’d rather a car do that safely than close pass

I’ve been known to do it too on the bike when filtering and there’s no space between the ped islands and the queuing cars. Obvs not when there’s traffic coming the other way!

It's an offence to contravene the mandatory keep left arrows on the bollards in such Islands, and while a cyclist won't suffer with their drivers licence they will get to visit a magistrate if caught doing it. It's one of the offences for which national policy is to prosecute, so a finger wagging of FPN is out of the question (its one of the acts automatically considered to be dangerous driving for motorists, it's considered that serious) and a couple of hundred quid to the beak is an expensive way to save a second or two for a cyclist (or an almost inevitable ban for a motorist).

The reason there is no discretion over prosecution if you're caught is because pedestrians tend to use such islands as refugees while crossing, and quite naturally they're going to be looking in the direction of the traffic flow when they step out, not looking the other way for people that think the circumstances makes it ok for them personally not to have to obey the law. Don't do it under any circumstances.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've had them do that whilst out in the car all because I was obeying the speed limit, saw a car yesterday Blue Audi A3, come out of the end of the road onto the main road, accelerate hard for 300-400 yards until there is a speed warning sign, they started to brake & still registered 50 in a 30mph, wish I'd got the plate No, although unlikely Dibble would have done anything

Top Bottom