"Bi-thick-le lane"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Saw this in the morning's Metro and just knew where it would be heading....:angry:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
thomas said:
posted here too

https://www.cyclechat.net/

I quite like it. It might of been more sensible to just have put massive cyclist logos on the floor, which take up 6 feet of the carriageway, and not have the lines.

We've got this on a road back in Woking.

Doesn't box anyone in which is a plus too.

Cheers for the link. That DM article is attracting the usual nutters. Including one lady driver who wants us all on the pavement. What The Fudge? :laugh:

Lizban

marinyork said:
Why? Recommendations from various sources are 2 metres.

But in reality cars need more space than bikes (runs hides and seeks cover)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Lizban said:
Does anyone else not think that it is barmy?

Love the idea of bigger and better cycle lanes but come on!

Not barmy (as I do understand the science) but not exactly promoting good cycle-car relations.

I have often wondered how effective it might be to have REALLY wide painted lanes (in a single colour, like the new Super highway blue) that just sort of "fade" out to tarmac on the right, this would not create a defined boundary and might possibly encourage a little co-operation form car drivers.

It would look like half the lane is "potentially" for cyclists.

Dan B

Disengaged member
thomas said:
It might of been more sensible to just have put massive cyclist logos on the floor, which take up 6 feet of the carriageway, and not have the lines.
Yes, I was thinking that too.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
coruskate said:
Yes, I was thinking that too.

We have these on contraflows, people tend to ignore them and get angry anyway. I take all the kicking and screaming in the article as encouraging - Daily Wail readers do really know what cycle lanes are for and how they should behave, just the bigger lane is making them feel guilty. This tells me that a lot of other lanes in the country should either be taken out or enlarged.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Lizban said:
But in reality cars need more space than bikes (runs hides and seeks cover)

If Bo Jo had built that in London many people would be saying he's brilliant.

For that particular lane they could have taken 6 inches or a foot of the other lane and given it to the middle lane. I suspect they were a bit uneasy about doing it as it is a downhill lane.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
marinyork said:
If Bo Jo had built that in London many people would be saying he's brilliant.

For that particular lane they could have taken 6 inches or a foot of the other lane and given it to the middle lane. I suspect they were a bit uneasy about doing it as it is a downhill lane.

On that hill you wouldnt need it downhill. You could hopefully, safely, take the lane and do 35+mph without pedalling there. Its pretty steep.

I don't understand. Cars are perfectly at rights to drive straddling a dotted lined cycle lane and should be giving cyclists that much room when they over take anyway. What difference does this make apart from making a seemingly futile attempt to edumacate drivers.
Or do I really not understand what's going on here?

Top Bottom