"Bi-thick-le lane"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Kaipaith said:
So the Highway code confuses sensible drivers by encouraging them to cross the line! It is dangerous! Ban this sick filth!
I read it as drivers don't know the what the fundamentals of road markings are let alone what specific road markings mean & so don't know what to do.

GrasB

Veteran
Lizban said:
But in reality cars need more space than bikes (runs hides and seeks cover)
Cars take up more space than bikes but need less space around them because they're inherently more stable.

jimboalee

Does anybody remember the days before bike lanes? There were no shouts of "get in the bike lane" 'cus there wasn't a bike lane to get in. We all shared the main carriageway and motorists understood that plainly.

Did anyone mention to the dumbo reporter the rules of 'dotted' bike lane markers? Cars can enter if there are no cyclists. When there are cyclists, the cars must pass beyond the dotted line.

The photo shows a motorist breaking the rule. The cyclist is perfectly within her rights to swerve about anywhere within the bike lane, BUT, if she did, she could be hit. She would be a fool to call the motorist's bluff with such a move.

Note the cyclist is on the outside yellow line. She can hear the car approaching and has got out of the way, presumably because she is aware of the limited amount of road width the car is allowed, and she is expecting the motorist to drive past. A wise young lady.

Which in conclusion, makes a mockery of the whole cycle lane theory.

redjedi

Über Member
I like that. Drive in it if it's empty but outside it if there's a cyclist using it.
If only more motorists had more common sense we wouldn't need cycle lanes like this.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you put dotted lines on the road for drivers, they will (by and large) follow them. If you want drivers to give more space when overtaking, take the lines away and force them to think about what they're doing a bit more. They might even slow down.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Does anybody remember the days before bike lanes? There were no shouts of "get in the bike lane" 'cus there wasn't a bike lane to get in. We all shared the main carriageway and motorists understood that plainly.

I do. I remember the shouts of "keep left"...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Car drivers complaining about their lane being poorly thought out and two narrow.

Perhaps it will foster greater understanding of cyclists after all.

stowie

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
Car drivers complaining about their lane being poorly thought out and two narrow.

Perhaps it will foster greater understanding of cyclists after all.

:smile:

The cycle lane experience should be recreated more realistically by having the road stop for brief sections with the motorist required to get out and push until the next piece of "infrastructure".

PBancroft

Bollo said:
I think I've just come up with the perfect Daily Wail story....

Sharia the Roads!

Loony left Hampshire County Council is digging up Winchester's roads to install segregated cycles lanes after complaints from local Imams that current lanes do not comply with strict Muslim laws on the separation of men and women. The new scheme, costing the taxpayer..........

I'm half tempted to plant this on their comments page ("I've heard that.....") and watch the fun.

As an employee of the above mentioned loony left Council, I can't condone such action.

But I wouldn't half laugh if you did it.

buggi

Bird Saviour
thomas said:
posted here too

https://www.cyclechat.net/

I quite like it. It might of been more sensible to just have put massive cyclist logos on the floor, which take up 6 feet of the carriageway, and not have the lines.

We've got this on a road back in Woking.

Doesn't box anyone in which is a plus too.

Brilliant idea! i love that. it would give the motorist the correct perception of how much room to leave.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
jimboalee said:
http://www.ukonlinesigns.co.uk/rigid_road_traffic_warning_signs_4.htm

Does DOT UKROAD0070 look familiar?

They're £55.

£76.70 with VAT & postage.

I don't need one 'cus I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and no maniac motorists ever pass my drive.
But if you live on a busy road, you can put one on a pole at the very front of your garden ( on your property ).

Do they do one in a swastika with a red line through it, perchance? :biggrin:

Bman

Guru
I dont think I understand the pun in the headline.
Is it referring to the cycle lane being thick (as in wide), the designers being thick, or motorists not understanding the simple elements if the Highway Code/road markings!? ;)

jimboalee

What's all the fuss about?

Motorists have over 2000 miles of roads ALL TO THEMSELVES.

These are called 'Motorways' and cyclists are NOT permitted to use them.

So why should motorists get into a bother about 200 yds of bike lane that is over 50% of the lane width?

They should all "Thick off".

Top Bottom